Mixed Barbs

1. David Lee Initiate Member

Will apologise in case its been asked before.
    120 litre tank
    interpet 3 and interpet 2 filters
    some live plants on bogwood Anubis1 java fern 2 another one not sure of name.
    2 Tiger barbs
    2 Orange barbs
    5 Cory albino
    1 Bristle nose plec
    5 Black Skirt Tetra
    2 Green Barbs

Could I add a few more barbs to make them feel comfortable or will I be over stocked

2. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I would take the tiger barbs, orange barbs and green barbs out. increase the albino cories and increase the black skirt tetra's.

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Yes you could add a few more. The more you have, the more they're likely to shoal together. I take it they're all Tigers?

4. David Lee Initiate Member

2 tiger 2 orange 2 green

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

So which species are the orange and green ones?

6. Landos Well Known Member Member

I would rehome the tiger barbs. I had a snail jump out of the tank, and 10 cory cats hiding under a sponge filter dje to barbs. Once they get comfy, they'll start attacking the other fish

7. David Lee Initiate Member

Not sure thought barbs were barbs

8. David Lee Initiate Member

Looked them up on here looks like orange ones are Pontius sachsii green ones are identical apart from being green

9. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, so they're the same species. Each species should be in a group, so I would rehome the Tiger Barbs and add a few more Green or Gold...

10. David Lee Initiate Member

Thanks for the help. Will be getting some more gold ones for fathers day.
    How many do you recommend as a maximum for 120 litre 30 gallon tank

11. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

With the other fish aswell, I'd say about 6-8, allowing for growth...

12. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello D...

What's the condition of the tank water? Ammonia and nitrite should be zero and nitrate about as low, say under 20 ppm. If your water test ins't in this range, then don't add any fish. A 30 gallon tank requires at least a 50 percent water change every week for the fish and plants to be healthy. When you can maintain a water change routine like this, then you can consider adding a few small fish.

Old

13. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Your nitrates can be at 30ppm and that is fine. It's just alittle more risky. 40ppm nitrates and higher are riskier.

14. David Lee Initiate Member