Mixed African Cichlid Tank Decorations

NaturalGothic

Hi guys!
I’m looking for some decoration ideas for my mixed African cichlid tank. Mostly, I want my fish to have what they need while causing the least amount of aggression. I have 1 albino rainbow shark, 7 peacocks, 2 labs, and 2 mubuna. All of my guys are juviniales and in a 29 gallon grow out tank. In couple of months, they’ll be ready for the 75 gallon which will be their permanent home. To my knowledge, I do not have any haps, but, I was told there’s a possibility some of my guys might be hybrids.
My current setup consists of sand with a bit of gravel mixed in it, a chunk of holey rock, a small piece of driftwood, three chunks of bricks, some pond stones I’ve had for ages, and a piece of slate. I’ve also got some java fern, and two faux plants.
I noticed that when I had more plants in my tank, it created issues with my peacocks so I took the majority of them out and left only the two fakes and my live plants in; it seems to have helped. The rocks, however, seem to be giving my peacocks something to fight over. In turn, it’s making my mubuna/shark cranky. How would you best decorate this tank? What have you had success with? What would you add/take out? Any suggestions would be helpful.

A201

Just make a rock pile, with plenty of caves & crevaces. Leave plenty of space above the rocks for swimming. Here's a pic of my 65 gal reserve tank with a rock hardscape. I more or less just randomly dumped the rocks.
You must be registered to see images

Upvote 0

Islandvic

You can try to rearrange the decor once a week, to break up the territories.

Some pieces of limestone and flagstone make for good caves. As do broken terra cotta pots.

The 29 has a small foot print. It may be easier to use the small terra cotta pots.

Here are pics of larger pots in my SA tank for example.....

Our 55g African tank uses limestone and flagstone for decor. I've raised our Mbuna since they were Juvies around 1.5" - 2.5" for the past 9 months, along with 2 Peacocks. They will chase each other short distances around the tank, but nothing to drastic. The Peacocks have more attitude than the Mbuna in our tank.

Your Africans will probably outgrow your 29g sooner than you think.

Upvote 0

plants with African cichlids isn't good they will wreak them but rocks are good texas holley rock is good I think that's all ready in your tank slate is good for when the fish breed the bigger tank is better for your fish the 29 g is a tad small the more rocks u have the better it is for the fish but u should re arrange the decore once a week as has been said

Upvote 0

NaturalGothic

Believe it or not, I have been changing the scape once a week. I don’t have a lot of aggression thank god; but, I’d like to give my shark some peace. They tend to annoy him the most. This is the current layout and my tank is missing 3 of my peacocks atm. They’re finishing their quarantine tonight and tomorrow I’ll be adding them in.

Upvote 0

Believe it or not, I have been changing the scape once a week. I don’t have a lot of aggression thank god; but, I’d like to give my shark some peace. They tend to annoy him the most. This is the current layout and my tank is missing 3 of my peacocks atm. They’re finishing their quarantine tonight and tomorrow I’ll be adding them in.
if u want your shark to be safe u can get a breeding log that is used for bristle nose catfish but will work for your shark to

Upvote 0

NaturalGothic

if u want your shark to be safe u can get a breeding log that is used for bristle nose catfish but will work for your shark to

that’s a great idea! I’ll defiantly get one of those. The other “caves” I had, the cichlids would take over. I was using flower pots and making them out of rock piles but they were too roomy and the other fish would get in.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Claire Bear
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
A201
Replies