Mix and matching corys

1. zdur Initiate Member

I understand that corys are a schooling fish and stick together in large numbers. I am purchasing a 60 gallon tank in a few week and im deciding what fish i want in it. It will be a community tank and I want to get a bunch of corys to roam the floor.

My main question is, is it ok to have lots of different types of corys in the one tank? ie having 5 species with 2 of each having a total of 10 corys? could possibly even do 4 species with 3 each. would they all school together or would they hang out separately?

cheers

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own kind not ones & twos of several different kinds.
    Whilst different kinds may interact they will seek out their own species & you'll see more natural behaviour from them
    You could have a couple of different kinds as long as each is kept in 6+ groups.
    Also bear in mind some have quite different temperature requirements so choose species that are all compatible at your tank temp.

3. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Can't agree more. Marvelous to have a huge herd interacting aso !!!

4. zdur Initiate Member

alright thank you! are there any ways to determine which differing species school together from past experience?

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Albinos & bronze are the same species so they'd be good together.

6. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

None of the species really school together in nature, AFAIK. Apart from maybe C. imitator and one or two others(?)

Albinos are usually bronze or peppered, so be careful which you get if you want them to shoal together. They're a subtly different shape, but albino peppereds also have a faint orangey bit just in front of the dorsal fin. There are one or two other albino species also.

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Sterbai to my believe.
    Love my Peppers more than all my Bronze and albinos btw.

Aeneus (bronze) has 14 subspecies to my believe. Venezuelas for instance are from the same group as well and will shoal, interact crossbreed (not wanted) Still those have slightly other behaviour !!!

Cheers Aad