Mites, Parasites Or What

honeyyyy

Reaction score
so i have a female betta in a qT tank and noticed lil white worm looking dudes climbing up the glass as well as small white specks with what looks like a tail and antennae swimming around my tank. at first i thought harmless since theyre swimming but she began acting strangely . fins arent clamped or anything but her feces looks very pale and stringy and she was sticking towards the bottom frequently. i removed her and gave her an epsom bath for the poop to pass better and moved her into my 20 gal that has all fresh + clean water. she seens better but is rubbing herself on things a bit. i dont see any parasites on her but im worried that it could be something internal. thoughts? mites are too small to take a photo of plus i essentially turned the qT tank into a saltwater tank to try and kill them.

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You probably have garden variety micro critters. I wish I could remember what the poop means regarding treatment, but the other life in your tank is probably harmless. She probably ate some, and that that might be the cause, however, her physiology is designed to consume little critters like those.

honeyyyy

Reaction score
Crafty Cichlid said:
You probably have garden variety micro critters. I wish I could remember what the poop means regarding treatment, but the other life in your tank is probably harmless. She probably ate some, and that that might be the cause, however, her physiology is designed to consume little critters like those.
i was at first thinking that she would just eat them but someone online that used to raise oscars told me that they were harmful and may be either flat worms or round worms so im not sure anymore

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think the critters and her rubbing herself is related. Can you see anything on her skin/scales or fins? Any marks, how are her gills? No redness, no swelling?

Fyi, rubbing suggests something external irritating her, not something internal. So focus on the outside. Which also makes it easier to diagnose.

honeyyyy

Reaction score
i think i may have just been imagining it lol. she looks fine now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom