Mistakes/regrets In This Hobby

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes had a crew come in. It trashed my basement/man cave. The water cover a 20x20 room.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ya know, they say a picture is worth a thousand words....

This gottawful gravel, lol...WHY???

20180630_150803.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
Worst mistake... well a friend gave me a 200 and 125 gal tanks. Started the 125 to keep the turtles my boys kept bringing home. Worked great. Up and running for 2 years while I prepared for the 200. Built it into a wall bought a wet dry system a canister and everything needed. Set it up moved my school of 5 discus into it added 10 more some tetras Cory’s and a few others. Tank was great. Lots of live plants everything was doing great almost a hands free natural tank. I was so proud. Worst mistake was not resealing it before I set it up. Yes it sprong a leak and cracked. 200gal came out of the tank in less than 5 seconds. The glass sounded like a bullet when it broke. Worst mistake.
How awful!
My biggest fear for my 40 long. At least it’s only about 36 gallons of water. And I epoxied the chips. No worries right? Well, right?

Pescado_Verde said:
Ya know, they say a picture is worth a thousand words....

This gottawful gravel, lol...WHY???

20180630_150803.jpg
And the answer is?

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gypsy13 said:
How awful!
My biggest fear for my 40 long. At least it’s only about 36 gallons of water. And I epoxied the chips. No worries right? Well, right?

And the answer is?
You have to click on the "spoiler" tag. Or were you referring to my cry of "WHY?"? The answer to that is simple - the ever impatient noob couldn't wait until the LFS got something in stock that was inexpensive AND not eye searing, I could only get the inexpensive part that day. I have come up with a marketing slogan for that gravel though-
"Blue Gravel! It's What Mother Nature Would Do If She Could!"

Nickguy5467

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
trying to grow grass in my new aquarium thinking all i had to do was throw it in wet sand T_T

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pescado_Verde said:
You have to click on the "spoiler" tag. Or were you referring to my cry of "WHY?"? The answer to that is simple - the ever impatient noob couldn't wait until the LFS got something in stock that was inexpensive AND not eye searing, I could only get the inexpensive part that day. I have come up with a marketing slogan for that gravel though-
"Blue Gravel! It's What Mother Nature Would Do If She Could!"
It was definitely the gravel thing. I’ve got dark blue gravel in my betta’s tank. Everyone whines theycant see him. Well, I can’t either but I know where he is. They are so smart. There’s a why why why for ya. I tried not to give in! I really did. All these fishlore peeps getting bettas showing off their bettas. Ugh! I knew I’d cave. Had too much help! Mother Nature would do green I think. Every different shade of green. Wait! It just hit me! Mother Nature did do that! Sapphires jade aquamarine! Huh. Need new slogan.

PonzLL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’ve done some things that would be upsetting to people here when I was new to the hobby. Would rather just leave it at that.

At least I know to research things before getting them now.

Nickguy5467

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PonzLL said:
I’ve done some things that would be upsetting to people here when I was new to the hobby. Would rather just leave it at that.

At least I know to research things before getting them now.
I need to do more of that.. probably be easier on my anxiety

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gypsy13 said:
It was definitely the gravel thing. I’ve got dark blue gravel in my betta’s tank. Everyone whines theycant see him. Well, I can’t either but I know where he is. They are so smart. There’s a why why why for ya. I tried not to give in! I really did. All these fishlore peeps getting bettas showing off their bettas. Ugh! I knew I’d cave. Had too much help! Mother Nature would do green I think. Every different shade of green. Wait! It just hit me! Mother Nature did do that! Sapphires jade aquamarine! Huh. Need new slogan.
Somehow though, and this is just me, you can get a bit crazy with gravel colors in a Betta tank and nobody will bat an eye. Blue and white in the "main" tank? Lol. I've been to some nice public aquariums and I don't recall seeing that done anywhere. I just redid one of my Betta tanks in what I wish I had done in the 55 - a really nice large grain loose sand in lighter shades of brown. The way God intended aquariums to look! HA!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pescado_Verde said:
Somehow though, and this is just me, you can get a bit crazy with gravel colors in a Betta tank and nobody will bat an eye. Blue and white in the "main" tank? Lol. I've been to some nice public aquariums and I don't recall seeing that done anywhere. I just redid one of my Betta tanks in what I wish I had done in the 55 - a really nice large grain loose sand in lighter shades of brown. The way God intended aquariums to look! HA!
My 40 long was white with cobalt blue sand. Everyone loved it.

Christina Marie

Reaction score
Honestly, my biggest regret is ever starting. A friend gave me a betta to care for, which soon turned into multiple tanks because I kept experimenting with community tank mates that didn't do well together. Now I have 3 tanks, because I'm "obsessed" with each fish living in optimal environments. Now I feel very responsible for keeping these fish as happy as they can be.. I've always been incredibly sensitive to animals, sometimes to a fault, and it can be stressful. :-/

Keeping fish is fascinating, magical and lovely, but I still believe that fish belong in the wild, not in pet stores or in our homes in tanks... so many mistakes are made even when we are no longer beginners. Supporting the aquarium hobby just contributes to more and more fish being tortured by people who don't know what they are doing. It's just inevitable. Not to mention the betta industry which really bums me out. Alas, I am here, I have my tanks, and I will care for my little guys as best as I can!!!

Anyhow, that was kind of dark and weird, and probably something I should have saved for therapy... Sorry!!

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, another big regret was us playing “pig” that is what got me started

PrairieGal

Reaction score
Going on a holiday, wanted to leave my 29 gallon tank spanking clean - cleaned the filter REALLY well - that’s when I leaned about “Good Bacteria” & “Bad Bacteria” - came home to a green bacteria bloom! Live & learn, and research. Now I have Fishlore, which I read daily!

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I kept my betta in a bowl for a whole year! Until I learned better, and now he will have a 5 gallon all to himself!

YATT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Christina Marie said:
Honestly, my biggest regret is ever starting. A friend gave me a betta to care for, which soon turned into multiple tanks because I kept experimenting with community tank mates that didn't do well together. Now I have 3 tanks, because I'm "obsessed" with each fish living in optimal environments. Now I feel very responsible for keeping these fish as happy as they can be.. I've always been incredibly sensitive to animals, sometimes to a fault, and it can be stressful. :-/

Keeping fish is fascinating, magical and lovely, but I still believe that fish belong in the wild, not in pet stores or in our homes in tanks... so many mistakes are made even when we are no longer beginners. Supporting the aquarium hobby just contributes to more and more fish being tortured by people who don't know what they are doing. It's just inevitable. Not to mention the betta industry which really bums me out. Alas, I am here, I have my tanks, and I will care for my little guys as best as I can!!!

Anyhow, that was kind of dark and weird, and probably something I should have saved for therapy... Sorry!!
There is no reason you should feel responsible for the world because you care for a few fish. Everyday in the wild many many many fish have tortured lives. Often at the hands of unknowing people, knowing people and just nature. Your little ecosystem is giving a good life to what you can. Try looking at it that way.

You are carrying a heavy load worrying about the world. These things should give you some joy, stress release, happiness, etc. If you don’t get that, you aren’t helping yourself at all (I mean c’mon, that is why we want fish right?)

It’s all about perspective.

Cltguy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Betta'sAnonymous said:
The biggest one recently is i kept a betta in a 1 gallon tank with no heater for about 4 months until i learned better. Luckily he still alive and still likes me!! Also, used soap to clean a small aquarium about 20 yrs ago....
When do you clean anything without soap!?!?! I am guilty of using soap to clean as well......I mean dawn always shows people using their soap to clean oil in water!!!

sullivanbay94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My past experince in fish keeping i had a 35g and a 20 gallon for 4 years many years ago and strictly relied on what my LFS was telling me about stocking :/

In the 35 over the years I'v had: (not all at the same time mind you)
3-4 Black ghost knifes (Only had one at a time but i could not figure out why they wouldn't live more then a few months)
3 silver dollars - Had them at the same time and they got hugeeeeeee
Multiple angle fish
Chinese algae eater that terrorized the tank
Bala shark, ID shark and red tailed shark at the same time

In the 20 gallon I kept 6 gold fish.... Comets, shubunkin and a koi. They all lived for quiet a few years surprisingly but it was definitely to cramped for them.

I also kept bettas in .5 gallon bowls for years with no filter or heater

My LFs advised i only needed to do 25% water changes every 2-4 months..

To many mistakes to count, luckily iv found this site and other online resources to help research before i purchase anything.

Andy S

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Got my first tank as a teenager and been keeping fish almost continually since. I'm now 60 so that's about 45 years.

Have I made any mistakes, do I have any regrets? To be honest, I haven't got time to catalogue them all and if I did you probably wouldn't have time to read it.

I try not to regret things, there's nothing you can do about it, what's gone has gone. I think the important thing is that when you make a mistake you should lesson from it and it will make you a better fish keeper.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I somewhat regret this aquarium.
It’s a genuine mess, everything is going wrong, since the first time I rescaped it is when it hasn’t been exciting. Now, when I look at that tank, I feel dread, not happiness or excitement of feeding them every day, and doing water changes. I now am dealing with dropsy in my cherry barbs, losing half the school already.

I had an upgrade tank ready, but the foolishness of humans did not remove huge plastic castle decorations, which ended up shattering the whole bottom panel, ruining the entire project that I had been looking forward too So, yes, this month has been a real disappointment, and it’s getting me day by day.

I have to go on vacation for a few days, and the forecast is showing nothing but rain for the entire week, which will be entirely boring if I have to sit inside instead of walking the beach looking for shells and interesting resources. Everything has been going wrong this past week, horribly wrong.

So, what do I regret?
My 30 gallon tank, the breaking of the 45 gallon tank, and the disappointment of having so many fish become ill in a month. As long as nothing happens to my bettas or their tank, I am good. That’s all I have to look forward to right now.

Albifrons

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I was a kid I kept a betta in a vase with a plant in it. No filtration, no heater, I never did water changes. He died in his own waste. I still feel guilt for what I did to him.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom