mistake? or okay? stocking question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jenmar1024, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Jenmar1024

Jenmar1024 New Member Member

Hi Everyone,

I know it's been awhile since my last post, sorry for my absense. Anyhoo, I finally have my 20gal tall tank cycled and now have fish in it. :;banaman It has only been about 5 days but this is what I have so far:

1 - Dwarf Gourmai
    5 - Red Minor Tetras
    2 - small snails

My questions are:

1. Is this a good combination? They seem to be getting along, although the Tetras are a bit nippy or at least try to be. :)
    2. What if anything else can I add to the tank? I was thinking of getting (4) Panda Cories as the albino ones freak my daughter out. :)
    3. How long should I wait to add any more fish? (my tank has been cycling since July so there is alot of brown yucky stuff)
    4. Is there a better combination for my setup?

Ignore the tank in my signature, I have since redone it. Here it is now with fish!!! :)

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading! :)
    Jenn

2. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do cories as they would be too large and active for a 20 tall. Other than that it seems fine just watch out for nipping from the red minor (serpae) tetras.

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

1. Serpae tetras are known to be pretty nippy, so I would definitely keep an eye on them. I would consider adding a couple (after waiting for the bacteria to catch up); they'll be less nippy in a larger group. Maybe eight total?
    2. I wouldn't do cories in a 20 tall, though a 20 long is okay. (Not that that helps you though, haha) I'm trying to think of other fish, but what with the aggressive serpaes, I can't think of a good addition. Another small fish like tetras or rasboras (or non-schooling fish like endlers) would be at more risk of being nipped, but anything larger would probably be too much to add. Plus it's not a good idea to mix cichlids and gouramis, so rams or apistos are out. I'll let someone else make suggestions :)
    3. That's quite a few fish to have added at once, so I would wait a minimum of two weeks, but more if you're patient. :)
    4. I wouldn't have gone with serpaes (though I love the long-fin variety) due to their size and aggression (they're on the bigger end as far as tetras go). I would keep an eye on things, and maybe add a few more in a couple weeks. If things seem to not be going well, maybe...an excuse to get a new tank!! :p

Additionally, no matter how long your tank has been cycled, there shouldn't be "brown icky stuff." You should be sure to clean all that out before adding fish.

4. OP
    OP
    Jenmar1024

First I want to ty for taking the time to read my post and offering your advice, it IS much appreciated. However as to your final remarks, I have read and reread the information posted on this site regarding the nitrogen cycle and ammonia cycling without fish. I have copied and pasted a key section of the post from the thread titled "Ammonia instructions for a fishless cycle" located in the sticky section of Freshwater Beginners area and it says:

At this point, your tank will probably look terrible with brown algae everywhere and probably cloudy water. As I mentioned, the nitrate reading will also be off the chart. Nitrates can only be removed with water changes. Do a large water change, 75 to 90 percent, turn the heat down to the level the fish you have decided on will need, and you are ready to add your fish. You can safely add your full fish load as your tank will have enough bacteria built up to handle any waste they can produce.

I did this method following the instructions exactly, if it is missing a key step then perhaps it needs to be edited to keep others from making mistakes. :)

Thanks
    Jenn

5. OP
    OP
    Jenmar1024

Ok so if I take the tetras back, is there another community fish that is similar to the red minors in size and looks that are less aggressive that would work?

I originally settled on the cories because that is what was suggested to me for bottom fish.:confused:

I appreciate everyones patience and willingness to help. :)

Thank You,
    Jenn

6. S

Skysong87 Valued Member Member

If you would like something similar to serpae tetras but without the nippyness I suggest looking at flame tetras. They look somewhat similar and are pretty peaceful. Also if you really like Corydoras then you could go with one of the Pygmy varieties (C. habrosus, C. hastatus and C. pygmeaus). My personal favourite is the salt and pepper Cory (Corydoras habrosus)!

Good luck with the new tank!

7. OP
    OP
    Jenmar1024

hmm, I kind of like those flame tetras...thanks I just may look into them. :) I went with the red minor because I love tiger barbs but know I can't have them in my small tank and they had a similar shape and size to the barbs. I thought about cherry barbs but they are small,long and thin in comparison.

I thought the panda cories were of the pygmy since they only get about 2"?

Jenn

8. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The brown algae is actually Diatoms and quite common in newly cycled tanks. While unsightly, it is harmless and will go away on it's own eventually. Unlike green algae, diatoms actually grows better with a less light. So while I have never cycled fishless, I would assume that most people kep their tank light off when cycling fishless, which would enocurage diatom growth.

9. m

melovefish Valued Member Member

i know this has nothing to do with your qustion but i cant figure how to post questions if someone cuold tell me that would great,thanks.:)

10. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

If it's visibility you're worried about, you could get more than 5. I have 9 cherry barbs in a 20 gallon tall and they're plenty noticeable enough since they never quit moving :D

11. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Algae is not "icky stuff;" I thought you meant detritus (maybe from cycling with flakes). Depends on your definition of "icky stuff" I guess ;)

As for other schooling fish, there are tons of varieties that aren't as nippy; tetras, rasboras, rainbows, and so on. I think most varieties of rainbows might get too big for your tank though, so I would avoid those. Harlequin or espei rasboras, lemon or flame tetras, so on and so forth.

melovefish, to make a new thread, click the "aquarium fish forum" tab at the top. Travel to the appropriate subforum (IE Stocking Questions, Filters and Maintenance, etc). There you can either travel to another more specific subforum, or make the thread right there. To make a thread, there is a button near the top left that says "Create new thread" or something to that effect. Don't worry if you put it in the wrong spot, the mods will move it for you :)

12. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Algae can actually be beneficial in a lot of ways and is part of the life of your tank. It can become overwhelming if not either eaten by fishes or cleaned on a scheduled or regular basis.

From the many things I have read and learned about it in the past, it won't actually grow much in unhealthy tanks. It will grow and prosper better in a healthier tank, actually.

13. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

On the main screen for this forum (i.e. most likely the screen that took you here), there is a "Post New Thread" button on the upper left. Clicking it will take you to a screen that will allow you to post a question.

14. troyvsc

troyvsc Well Known Member Member

My bleeding heart tetras are more aggressive (at least one biggie is) then my Serpae tetras. I have 20 long and have no problem with my Serpae tetras being nippy with my guppies and platies. I guess some of it depends on the individual fishes.

I have decorations driftwood and lots of plants so that my help with the aggressiveness too as most of my tetras have certain territory they claim except for feeding time.

15. OP
    OP
    Jenmar1024

Thank You everyone for your replies, I very much appreciate them.

I'm going to take the red minors back to the chain store I got them from this afternoon and tomorrow my daughter and I will try and find a good fish store. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice