missus

1. TinaR Initiate Member

:;swdad I need help fast! My snail is suffering! I saw a problem with algea, heavy growth in the last three weeks. I bought Tetra Algea Control and overnight my five fish died. My snail shut the door and waited for help! I took it out and put it in a bowl of water with an airstone. It has been in the same spot opening the door for about 19 hours now. Hasn't turned over and crawled anywhere. Is still alert, when my shadow crosses the water, it snaps shut. I know it has chemical poisoning, but what do I do for it! Is there hope! Is he damaged! Should I wait! Help! He is suffering!

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Tna, welcome to FishLore!!

I'm sorry about your fish :(
    It sounds like you did the right thing by moving him although a bowl won't be big enough and he can easily climb out once he's up and moving.
    Guess it's a wait and see kind of thing now.

Good luck!

3. TinaR Initiate Member

Thanks Lucy. I just checked on him he is still alive. So worried I did not put all my questions I have about him ( I have decided it is a he) The questions I have are; Should I keep his water warmer than room temp? Is inside of his shell contaminated? Could he have chemical burn and not walk anymore? Should he be in the water or out of the water or in very little water? If I put him in very little water than I can't control the water temp. Should I just give up on him (irreprable harmed) and wrap him up and put him in the freezer so he can go into hibernation and die? Darn you tetra algea control! I have him beside me on the desk and he is coming out more. Perhaps he needed to be out of the water altogether. I amgoing t leave him out for perhaps twenty minutes.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I don't know all that much about snails but If possible I'd put him in a heated tank with fresh water and wait it out.
    What kind of snail is he?
    If he's aquatic, I'm pretty sure leaving him out of the water would kill him.
    Although Nerites are known for going above the water line for a little while.
    No sense in giving up on him now, imo.

5. TinaR Initiate Member

This is what I am going to do. Hopefully someone who knows alot about apple snails or knows someone who knows alot will read this and help me. But for now I have put him in a small (1 gallon or 2 gallon tank) with a lid he is crawling aroung alot. In the water he was not crawling at all just hanging out loose. And upon closer inspection his shell looks like it may have been about to be eaten/worn away by the chemical. I put a a small saucer bowl of water in there I put a small amount of food in the bowl and on the dry tank bottom and I am going to wait for a post and wait to see if he lives. Thanks!

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I moved the thread to the snail section.
    I'm sure others will be along to help. :)

Good luck!

7. TinaR Initiate Member

Help my hurt snail.

Thank you so much Lucy. HAGD!

8. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Http://www.applesnail.net/content/care.php

Please read the above care info. These are not land based snails and will suffer without water and proper care.

I'm sorry you lost your fish. I detest those so called quick fix products as they cause more harm than good.

9. Brainlady Well Known Member Member

I am sorry about your fish. Agree with Dena, he should not be out of the water. He would do better in a heated tank with great water quality. I imagine, like all living creatures, he has some capacity to heal himself. I love Apple Snails, they are stunning to watch as they zip around the tank.

10. TinaR Initiate Member

Thanks ladies. I just didn't know. This is a hard lesson learned. He is still hanging around looking super sick. www.applesnail.net says all I can do is wait and see if he lives. Interestingly, he also said that on the Tetra website, not the label! It says specifically that it will kill snails! But it still doesnt give an explanation as to how?why it killed my fish! What the heck! :jawdrop:Poor fella, so sorry.

11. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

The problem with algaecide products is that they contain harsh chemicals that tend to be carcinogenic. And if they kill off the algae the water will be depleted of oxygen, suffocating the fish. Some also contain silver or copper compounds that will kill inverts.

And these products do not get to the root of the problem. So, at best they are a quick fix as algae will quickly return until the root cause has been dealt with.

12. TinaR Initiate Member

Which brings me to what started this anyway. Algea just started to grow wild. I have had the tank for over a year. I suddenly started to get algea after I put a large bamboo plant in. It is a twenty gallon tank. I had a dwarf, gold, blue and opaline gourami and an albino catfish and of course my snail. I was sitting infront of a large window about eight feet away, which got late evening sunlight. After the first algea out break, and I mean heavy on the glass. I closed my blinds and removed the bamboo, for about a month all was well. Then it just sprang up again all of a sudden. I cleaned the tank again both times I changed all of the water. Then about three weeks went by and again it sprang up. Thats when I decided to try the algea stuff. When I say sprang up I have to go in the kitchen everyday of course. one day it will be clear and the next not. I know that is the case because on wed my husband and i were talking about the tank. on thur algea. put the stuff in that evening and and all looked well. we went to a hotel on fri morn came back sat and they were dead. any other ideas on why/how it grows?

13. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

14. TinaR Initiate Member

Ok, It is the green water algae caused by too much light. But the light is coming from my aquarium hood. Soo do I not use the light at all or do I limit the amount of time I have the light on. I usually have it on from around seven am to seven pm on a timer.

15. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have live plants? What type of light do you have? What are your current water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

I would try the following:

1. Do a 20% water change and lift all debris off the gravel.
    2. Cover the tank with heavy towels or a blanket. You want to ensure no light is reaching into the tank. Do not uncover and do not feed fish for 5 days.
    3. Uncover. Water should be cleared, but tank will need another water change; and fish will be hungry.
    4. Pick up a tank background or use heavy plastic to shield tank from sunlight.
    5. Wait a week, do not turn on the tank lights.
    6. If algae is not returning, then begin to turn on the tank lights for no more than 4 hours per day.

Good luck.

16. TinaR Initiate Member

I had the one giant piece of bamboo about seven inches tall. After the first bloom i did not put the gravel back. But anyway my fish all died, I am trying to save my snail he is in a hospital tank. when I am ready to get other fish, one or two I am going to come to this site to follow all of the great advise here. Thank you so very much for your help and information. I will prolly see you on here again. Thanks!

17. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm really sorry about your fish.
    Hope the snail makes it!

18. TinaR Initiate Member

Ok. My snail looks better. But still not all the way well in my opinion. He has "slime" stuff around it's edges. I know, I know. It's a snail. slime. But no, this is not usual. Anyway @Dena yes I learned the hard way about chemical quick fixes but like most people I stayed at the novice aquarium owner. I now know of the great sites availabe for optimum aquarium and fish care. Although, I did not get much past the novice stage I do like to learn which took me to the site www.applesnail.net @catsma. I was already familiar with the site and when this happened that is where I first went. Unfortunately I registered with my problem at 8am and had to wait until 6pm before the account was "activated"and could even post anything onto to the message board. That is how I wound up posting on here. I don't think that site gets much activity. It is a GREAT source of info on snails. But according to bpgroupie, in a shell(lol) all I can really do is just wait it out. I just asked if I should wrap him up and put him in the fridge and force hibernation so he will just die. I am waiting for a response. That is what they call a "funeral" for sick snails and snails with damaged shells, beyond repair. Applesnails "can" live without water.

"Don't worry, they can easily survive out of the water for more then a week.

That was copied and pasted from the website. Which is great for the snail because they will crawl up and out of the tank and hit the floor. Unfortunately that causes them to possible crack their shell. So be sure to put a cover on any tank you have with snails in them. Okay, I am about to tidy up the hospital tank and wait some more.

:;thx

19. TinaR Initiate Member

I just got back in and checked on my snail. I think he is all better he moved to a different part of the tank and ate the wafer I put in. :;bananasplit Thanks again. If he takes a turn for the worse I will post.

20. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's great news Tina!