missing strainer on filter inlet, DIY solution please.

Kelekona

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I'm missing the end of the tube to my filter, and two silly feeders decided to swim up it. The end is now wrapped in cheesecloth, but it's getting clogged.

What might be a good way to keep more silly fish from trying to pretend that they're Nemo?

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can get a prefilter sponge at more fish stores, or just a filter sponge and tie it to the end of your filter with fishing line. Also a mesh media bag would work as well, but will get clogged like you are having now. The sponge is the best and most commonly used method to my knowledge.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I believe this would work for you:

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kelekona said:
So I'm missing the end of the tube to my filter, and two silly feeders decided to swim up it. The end is now wrapped in cheesecloth, but it's getting clogged.

What might be a good way to keep more silly fish from trying to pretend that they're Nemo?
What brand and model filter do you have. Most of the major brands sell aftermarket part replacements. Bigalspets.com has parts for most of the filters they sell. Try google searching it as well, I'm sure you will find someone selling it at least on ebay or amazon.

Kelekona

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My filter is a TopFin 30. Big Al's doesn't seem to have that replacement part, but I did see a temptation to just replace the entire filter. (Or I could go back to using the 10. The goldfish didn't seem to mind having a filter too small for the tank.)

Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
alink said:
You can get a prefilter sponge at more fish stores, or just a filter sponge and tie it to the end of your filter with fishing line. Also a mesh media bag would work as well, but will get clogged like you are having now. The sponge is the best and most commonly used method to my knowledge.
not only will the sponge further filter any debrise from your tank, but it will add another biological filter to your initial filter. Just clean it as you would any bio media. win win!

Kelekona

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. I'm going to try hitting a pet store soon. I had to unplug the filter because the cheesecloth got completely clogged.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads