missing strainer on filter inlet, DIY solution please.

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Kelekona, Jul 13, 2015.

1. KelekonaValued MemberMember

So I'm missing the end of the tube to my filter, and two silly feeders decided to swim up it. The end is now wrapped in cheesecloth, but it's getting clogged.

What might be a good way to keep more silly fish from trying to pretend that they're Nemo?

2. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

You can get a prefilter sponge at more fish stores, or just a filter sponge and tie it to the end of your filter with fishing line. Also a mesh media bag would work as well, but will get clogged like you are having now. The sponge is the best and most commonly used method to my knowledge.

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

4. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

What brand and model filter do you have. Most of the major brands sell aftermarket part replacements. Bigalspets.com has parts for most of the filters they sell. Try google searching it as well, I'm sure you will find someone selling it at least on ebay or amazon.

5. OP
    OP
    K

KelekonaValued MemberMember

My filter is a TopFin 30. Big Al's doesn't seem to have that replacement part, but I did see a temptation to just replace the entire filter. (Or I could go back to using the 10. The goldfish didn't seem to mind having a filter too small for the tank.)

6. Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Eatfishhuntrepeat8New MemberMember

not only will the sponge further filter any debrise from your tank, but it will add another biological filter to your initial filter. Just clean it as you would any bio media. :) win win!

7. OP
    OP
    K

KelekonaValued MemberMember

Thanks. I'm going to try hitting a pet store soon. I had to unplug the filter because the cheesecloth got completely clogged.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice