missing red platy?

1. Carissa Rodriguez Initiate Member

I came home from work about 8 hours late because I had stuff to do...
    And I figured the fish would be fine and eat some darn baby mollies if they got hungry.
    But I came home. My red Platy was missing :( it seems way to big to get eaten. I turned
    Over all the decorations.. and looked in the plastic plants. but nothing.

Do you think he was eaten?
    I have 2 male gold dust lyretail Molly
    2female dalmation Molly.
    And besides the red male Platy, I have like orangish ones a male and female.

My tank is also full of Molly fry.
    So any ideas where it went?

2. nhaiflich Member Member

I also doubt it got ate. Do you have a hood? Could it have jumped out? What about filter? Make sure didn't get in there somehow. Those are only ideas I have

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

Check out the filter. Also look behind the tank on the floor, and take out any big decorations.

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I had found a few fish in my old HOB filter so after checking the floor around my tank that is the first place i look

5. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Given the other fish that you have, I would think that you would see obvious remains had he met his maker in the tank.
    Checking filter and floor are good ideas as suggested above, but so is waiting a while; I've often gotten lost in my fridge for more than 8 hrs:)------------rick

6. Carissa Rodriguez Initiate Member

I checked around for it in the filter. And on the outside of the tank.
    No dice. :(

I am so sad. I wonder where he went? I even turned up side down all the castles and ornament. :( I've had a Betta die on accident by swimming into a shell and getting caught.
    So I keep checking the ornaments. But eh. Can't find him.

7. Bob Ellis Member Member

Anyone else around that would've either removed the dead fish or picked it up off the floor had it jumped? Any cats or dogs that would've eaten it had it jumped out?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Is there any space under what the tank is on? I've heard of people finding them under tank stands and even sofas.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. zinnaerris Member Member

When I was little we lost a fish for a couple weeks.. The next time my dad stirred up the travel he found the fish burried. I dunno how or why but maybe stir up the substrate.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. Carissa Rodriguez Initiate Member

No it's not behind my dresser. It's on a large nightstand. Maybe my dog got it...

But I doubt it. I'm very watchful of her around the tank cause she ate fisbfood once. But... If I don't find it... Will it harm the other fish if it's lingering in there?

11. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Odd i lost an adult guppy yesterday who is also no where to be found and this morning a fry went missing from my breeder net

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

What was it that Conan Doyle used to have Holmes say--'When you have excluded the impossible, the improbable remains the solution (he may have said that only 7% of the time)"
    Given that it has only been a day, I really would not give up hope just yet ( except that I know that either of my dogs would slurp up any found food in a heartbeat).
    My fish seem to have uncanny abilities to elude me, and your searches would have turned up a dead fish, but not necessarily a live one.
    Patience is a Virtue in life, A Cardinal Virtue in keeping fish. Hoping that all works out well, rick

13. temptresstoo Initiate Member

I always find fish that completely disappear very odd. Had a pleco disappear recently... could understand if it had died, but I didn't find a corpse. They tend to have a more hardy body, so I was surprised I didn't find something.

My old school principal had aquatic crabs (fiddler of some type). Occasionally they would disappear and he'd find them days later, somewhere, "frozen" in fight mode, claws outstretched and ready to fight.