Missing oto! Help

1. emmynk Well Known Member Member

I know oto cats are hard to keep sometimes because theyre wildcaught..but I bought three to put in my puffer tank. Two are very active but I can't find another. I figured the other one is just shy... but cleaning today, I can't find the third anywhere... I checked everything, figured if he died it would be stuck to the filter intake, because it wasn't floating at the top... not there. Not behind the filter. Could the other Otos have eaten him? I don't think the puffer could have , the puffer is half the size... maybe if the otos started, the puffer finished... I don't know.

2. eds48 Member Member

The other otos most likely did not eat that oto. Even though the puffer is small, they can still be aggressive and may attack any fish. What type of puffer is he?

3. emmynk Well Known Member Member

Dwarf puffer, Indian pea puffer. Cute little guy. He is vicious towards snails but never seen him go to a fish. I saw on here that Otos are the only 'safe' fish to keep with pea puffers.

4. FiscCyning Member Member

The oto could have also died on his own (they are very sensitive fish and often don't survive the stress of shipping and pet store tanks) and the puffer ate the body once he died.

5. Jim Well Known Member Member

If you have a mystery snail, they can eat an oto overnight.

6. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

You have two carnivores in that tank. The puffer could have even killed that oto. And id hate to be graphic but a filter can pull a dead fish into the tiny slots and shred them until theres nothing left. Impellers that we use in our filters are also used for leaf blowers to suck up and shred leafs.

7. emmynk Well Known Member Member

Found him!

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Glad you found him :) Oto's are extremely good at blending in on plants & wood, sometimes you can be looking right at them & not see them

9. emmynk Well Known Member Member

I guess so!:) now if I can get the buggers to eat some hair algae..

10. Rm2011 Initiate Member

I haven't had any luck with them eating hair algae, Siamese algae eaters seem to be much more fond of it in my experience.

11. emmynk Well Known Member Member

Gosh darn it!!! Ugh! I woke up and turned my light on and there laying in the tank is a dead oto. Do you think the puffer bullied him? Ugh. I'm so sad:(

12. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Its hard to say. It could have been the puffer or other fish. It could have been a sensitive fish coming into a new home. Otos die a lot for the first month or so when you bring them home. Also, otos need to be in schools of at least 5-6. So odds are they are probably stressed from having a small school, having a puffer around that they are unsure of, being in a new tank, and the main reason that Otos have a tough time when they are new.....

The way I understand it is that Otos have bacteria in their gut that helps them break down food for nourishment. When they are caught in South America they are put in a large bag with a ton of other otos with no food. They are transported all the way to the U.S. or wherever you live without any food. Then they get put in a tank like Petsmart where they are not fed the correct type of food for otos. This all adds up to a long time without any proper food for them, which causes the bacteria in their gut to slowly die off. Then by the time they get into your home tank they cant digest food properly so they slowly die off of starvation and lack of nourishment.

Here is a video of them being caught in the wild, crazy stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilnitMs1LRk

I know this is sad and is horrible, but it is one of the bad parts of this industry. Whenever possible try to find tank bred otos, they supposedly do much better. I haven't been able to find any locally so I have stopped getting them. I don't want to be part of the problem. Try to provide a good life for the otos that did survive and go from there.

They enjoy blanched veggies like spinach and zucchini to help supplement their diet.