Missing neon

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Last night when I was watching my 36 gal. tank, the tank that has my neon in it, I went to the other room to turn the lights off for the 10 gal. and when I went back I couldn't find it anywhere and my shark was swimming in the middle of the tank, which is unusual for my shark, and I still can't find my neon. My neon was about 1" long and my sharks mouth doesn't look like it is able to eat something that big. Could my shark have eaten my neon?
Tom

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
It could have. May not have been able to eat it in one bite, may have killed it and then chewed on it a bit. Otherwise it may have been hiding. See if it shows up later. If it is unusual for your shark to be swimming in the middle of the tank, I would assume the worst. Hope it shows up, though.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It still hasn't and 2 new harlequin had disappeared as well. They are no were to be found, I did a 25% water change on Monday and there was no sign of them at all.
Tom

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I few weeks ago, i was doing a water change and I scared one of my neon's with the siphon and he wedged himself between the gravel and the tank glass. If I hadn't seen it happen he would have died under there. If the shark chased it around something like this might have happened.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Probably was the shark. Sometimes those things are just so small that you can't see them, but if they are missing and continue to be missing, I would assume the shark got them.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yeah, also could ave been the sahrk... I know bala sharks will eat neons...

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
gotta eat when they're hungry.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
thats wierd though if its unusual for the shark to be swimming in the middle of the tank-the neon must have looked good

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It wasn't usual for the shark to do that. Most of the time it just sat underneath a rock cave I have.
Tom

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Nrion tetra

That's pretty wierd. Maybe he just got territorial or something and saw the neon and thought it as food. Has he been aggressive to other fish

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like I think I said earlier, I believe he ate some new harlequin rasboras as well. I was kinda happy and kinda sad when I traded him for 2 full grown black neons. Then I went and got some more harlequins.
Tom

tony

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
my neon has just went missing too, i think that died from some unknown cause and then my shark may have eaten his remains, this may have been what happened to your neon

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom