Missing Multi

bullyboy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I brouggt home 7 juvenile Multis a week ago and one of them (female i believe) never seems to come out and i fear it may be dead.
Any advise how to find out with out harming it if its still alive?

(Tried the elevated cup idea on every unclaimed shell and that didnt work)

Deaddawg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Coradee said:
Giving this a bump up for you
Try putting the shell closer to the top of the tank. I mean almost at the surface. Leave it for 2 days.
If your substrate is sand turn it over a little with your finger and see if its black underneath. I lost 2 multies in a tank with play sand due to imo the sand not being aerated enough and gas built up. Play sand is very fine and packs tight together. I use pool filter sand in my other tanks with no deaths.

bullyboy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Deaddawg said:
Try putting the shell closer to the top of the tank. I mean almost at the surface. Leave it for 2 days.
If your substrate is sand turn it over a little with your finger and see if its black underneath. I lost 2 multies in a tank with play sand due to imo the sand not being aerated enough and gas built up. Play sand is very fine and packs tight together. I use pool filter sand in my other tanks with no deaths.
I guess im lookimg for a way to turn or manipulate the shell to get them out if theyre dead or stuck.

Its a shallow tank, only about 8" tall and ive tried the elevation technique on all the unclaimed shells.

Deaddawg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It worked for me. (scratching head) Pull it out of the tank with the water still in it and give it a smell test then try holding it up to a bright light to see if there anything in the shell. That's all I got.
If there dead then try tweezers or a piece of copper wire to scoop it out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom