missing mts

1. baggy007

baggy007 Well Known Member Member

hi guys:)

ive noticed ive not seen any of my mts for at least 2 weeks could any fish in my profile have ate them?

2 comet
    9 rosy tetra
    2 weather loach
    1 bnp
    7 congo tetra
    3 angelicus loach
    2 talking catfish
    6 bosemani rainbows

thanks

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

How many would you say you had?

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Maybe your loaches?
    MTS snails usually only come out at night so you probably won't see many during the day.
    My Tiger barbs used to eat the baby mts snails all the time. They were the only ones that I saw actively eating them.

4. Jaysee

I've got MTS in my tanks with loaches. I've not seen dojos or angelicus pay them any attention.

5. OP
    OP
    baggy007

i would say i had at least 50, i used to see them when i turned the lights on then they would hide from the light but not seen none for ages, not even the tell tale tracks in the sand, i did research and the only iffy fish is the talking catfish but not sure

6. Junne

Well if you don't see tracks and or "empty" shells indicating that they died, then most likely one of your fish is eating them. Now the question is, "Who"

I had no idea why my tiger barbs seemed to favor snails - I fed the barbs just the same as the other fish but they seemed to like eating things - even the paint off of my decor so I dunno..... ???

7. Jaysee

Take a net and scoop out some sand - as deep as you can go, then shake the net to sift out the sand. See if you can find any snails.

8. OP
    OP
    baggy007

thanks guys

next w/c i will go through the sand and see if i can find any but i usually stir the sand on every w/c and i dont recall seeing any for the last couple of w/c, not even any empty shells

9. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

My cherry barbs are a terror on snails in my tank. Anytime a pond snail or mts is in plain sight they'll take turns trying to grab a bite. They didn't start doing it till after I had fed them frozen blood worms the first time... I think they like the taste of fresh(ish) meat now :D

10. Junne

Thats an interesting theory although I had never fed my barbs anything but the nls pellets. They just liked the snails and loved to pick at the antlers...... :mad:
    And to make things worse, it wasn;t just one in the pack doing it - it was ALL of them! The snails never had a chance! :mad:

11. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I thought loaches ate snails?

12. Jaysee

MTS are much more of a challenge than pond snails.

13. OP
    OP
    baggy007

hi guys

just done my w/c and no sign of any mts, not even empty shells

any thoughts?

im still edging towards the catfish and not the loaches, do bnp`s eat them?

thanks

14. Jaysee

Bristle nose Pleco? Not that I've ever seen.

15. OP
    OP
    baggy007

thats what i though but just though i would check

im assuming someone is to blame as i have found no empty shells

16. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

They have seriously tough shells, you have something with jaws of steel to be eating those guys whole, lol.