missing mts

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe your loaches?
MTS snails usually only come out at night so you probably won't see many during the day.
My Tiger barbs used to eat the baby mts snails all the time. They were the only ones that I saw actively eating them.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've got MTS in my tanks with loaches. I've not seen dojos or angelicus pay them any attention.

OP
baggy007

baggy007

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say I had at least 50, I used to see them when I turned the lights on then they would hide from the light but not seen none for ages, not even the tell tale tracks in the sand, I did research and the only iffy fish is the talking catfish but not sure

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well if you don't see tracks and or "empty" shells indicating that they died, then most likely one of your fish is eating them. Now the question is, "Who"

I had no idea why my tiger barbs seemed to favor snails - I fed the barbs just the same as the other fish but they seemed to like eating things - even the paint off of my decor so I dunno..... ???

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Take a net and scoop out some sand - as deep as you can go, then shake the net to sift out the sand. See if you can find any snails.

OP
baggy007

baggy007

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks guys

next w/c I will go through the sand and see if I can find any but I usually stir the sand on every w/c and I don't recall seeing any for the last couple of w/c, not even any empty shells

Terra

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jwebbe said:
I had no idea why my tiger barbs seemed to favor snails - I fed the barbs just the same as the other fish but they seemed to like eating things - even the paint off of my decor so I dunno..... ???
My cherry barbs are a terror on snails in my tank. Anytime a pond snail or mts is in plain sight they'll take turns trying to grab a bite. They didn't start doing it till after I had fed them frozen blood worms the first time... I think they like the taste of fresh(ish) meat now

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Terra said:
My cherry barbs are a terror on snails in my tank. Anytime a pond snail or mts is in plain sight they'll take turns trying to grab a bite. They didn't start doing it till after I had fed them frozen blood worms the first time... I think they like the taste of fresh(ish) meat now
That's an interesting theory although I had never fed my barbs anything but the nls pellets. They just liked the snails and loved to pick at the antlers......
And to make things worse, it wasn;t just one in the pack doing it - it was ALL of them! The snails never had a chance!

OP
baggy007

baggy007

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hI guys

just done my w/c and no sign of any mts, not even empty shells

any thoughts?

I'm still edging towards the catfish and not the loaches, do bnp`s eat them?

thanks

OP
baggy007

baggy007

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
that's what I though but just though I would check

I'm assuming someone is to blame as I have found no empty shells

Terra

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They have seriously tough shells, you have something with jaws of steel to be eating those guys whole, lol.

New Threads