MISSING male appisto Fire red

isaacfish

hey guys I have a fully planted 125 gallon tank. it has only peaceful fish like tetras and corys plus a pair of fire reds. The male would often follow the female around the tank, in a non aggressive way. I fed him yesterday morning, he quickly became my favorite fish. There is lots of hardscape and plants for them to hide, often they mosey around and then hang out in their favorite corner.
however, he went missing when I came home from work, did not pop out for night time feeding, only the female. There is lots of caves and hardscape for him to hide so i thought he might be gone however this morning when doing my water change I moved all my javaferns to try to get a better look at where he might be. I could not find him for the life of me. I stuck my hand into all the caves,cracks and crevices. I checked everywhere in my house to see if he jumped and my dog maybe snatched him up. which I had fish jump a long time ago and he always ignored them... any ideas also if he is dead should i try to pull everyhting out and see if i can find it?

My tank has been cycled for 3 months ish, water test before my waterchange was
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5-10 nitrate
kh 2
gh 3
ph 6.6
tested with a master kit, I change water more for KH replenishing than for nitrates...

I would be devistated as it is my favorite fish and quickly became so because of its quirky personality... should I look at getting more in the tank or wait for a while and see if he appears?

sunflower430

I'd keep testing at least daily to see if your ammonia spikes which would indicate he is decaying in there somewhere. If parameters stay good, I'd have to assume he jumped out and maybe the dog ate him or he's just hiding reallyyyy good and hopefully will show back up. I'd wait at least a week or so in case your numbers go off and you have to tear down to find the body before getting another.

isaacfish

thanks for your input... i will wait and hope for the best.. I will slow down on the food to once a day and so the bacteria can work against a decaying fish vs food waste.. only feed 2 times because my 12 diamond tetras are all juvies.. its supposed to rain this whole weekend and as much as I would hate to tear down I might make a day of moving the hardscape to see if i can find him....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
  • Question
Replies
Views
Shrimpandall
Replies
Views
JoeyFreshwater91
Replies