Missing Loach

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recently bought two clown loach, a day later I added several types of fish, I found a neon tetra dead this mornin trapped in plastic plants, but what I'm really concerned about is my missing clown loach, I can't see him at all, there's a cave which I cannot see into I don't know if hes there or not but I fed them last night he was no where to be seen, just fed them a second ago, no sign of him, then I turned the lights out while there was a little bit of food left as I know they are nocternal but again no luck I'm really concerned about him

Any suggestions?? ??? :'(

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He's in that cave laughing at you They seem to be able to make us worry about them more than any other fish If your seriously worried pull the cave out and have a look chances are he will come shooting out. Check and see if there are any tight places he could have gotten to as the tighter the spot the better they like it.
Carol

OP
LarryDavid

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I really hope so...Ill check the cave tomorrow if I don't see him sooner.

Also I introduced a Female Balloon Molly into the tank today, already contained a male and a female they constantly keep biting her lower fin at her back end...I'm deeply concerned as they both are doing it...Is this normal behavior?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No its not normal behavior. You might have to take her out if they don't stop.
Carol

OP
LarryDavid

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Butterfly said:
He's in that cave laughing at you They seem to be able to make us worry about them more than any other fish If your seriously worried pull the cave out and have a look chances are he will come shooting out. Check and see if there are any tight places he could have gotten to as the tighter the spot the better they like it.
Carol

The little buggers gone

Checked eveywhere the cave, the rocks, plants filter every where hes dissapeared ¬_¬

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check the floor around the tank, sometimes they jump out
Carol

OP
LarryDavid

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Checked the floor no where....

I Always have the hood security on 24/7

skippi

Reaction score
I here you I got 4 striata botias and 2 went missing. nowhere to be found check floor caves plants filter everything. come to find out there was a piece of the filter intake tube missing and the little buggers went up in the tube.... they are out now and the tube has been fixed. you will find it somewhere loaches are extremely good at finding hiding spots..

Heidi

OP
LarryDavid

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
****! I found the little fucker...As you said Butterfly he was in the cave

He seems a little pale...have to feed him up a bit

Thanks for all your comments and concerns

OP
LarryDavid

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well thinking about it he may of been in fact stuck as I found him when I re arrangened the layout, I can't find anything wrong with him physically as I have checked vigerously ill just keep a eye out for him.....

To be honest the reason I changed the layout a bit was my red tail clearly claimed his territory only half the size of the clown loach as hes ababy he still chases them, but to be honest they all seem to enjy it, it might be play also as he does not chase anything else in the tank only the clown loach

But this clown loach was at the top of the cave where the bubbles come out of, so its very much possible that he was stuck

Jim W

Reaction score
Oh the clown loach, the ninja of fish.

I am brand new to these amazing fish. I recently saw them at a local seller, 3 in the tank. They were all over the place keeping together like they were attached with a string. So much fun to watch I bought all 3. In the tank they were a blast, then the next day....gone....all 3. They had all nesseled rather nicely inside of the only 'fake' thing in my tank, a giant piece of plastic wood. (which of course was hollow) I couldn't believe that 3 of the most active fish I had ever seen, were content to be cramped up in such a tight spot. lol

Needless to say, that ornanmental wood is no longer in the tank.

Mind you, they still have places to "hide" when they want to, but at least the are not completely out of view.

Jim

OP
LarryDavid

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well hes gone missing again  :

The other loach I have is always out the other I hardly see... I expect he comes out at night as they are nocturnal...

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
I had the exact same problem happen to me about 2 months ago with my clown loach. But the problem is, I pulled out all my plants, picked up all my rocks, moved around all the gravel on the bottom, and checked on the floor around the tank and nothing. So I went to the store and got another one and I just got one that hasn't died in under a week and my Columbian shark seems to coax my loach out whenever it goes into hiding, it's really neat. If anyone could explain where my loach went to, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

robby270

Reaction score
lol if they are anything like my 2 dojo loaches they will go missing for weeks then magically reappear when enough shrimp pellets build up on the floor

King Dojo

Reaction score
CLown loaches are really good hiders one time one of mine swan into a bubble filter he went in were the bubbles come out couldnt find him for a week thought he was dead and the othere fish cleaned him up

New Threads