Missing items in "Tetra test laborett" -help!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by miserkris, Mar 21, 2010.

1. m

miserkris New Member Member

Hi Guys,

I am new to saltwater. Just startin to setup a 55g fowlr. I got some used stuff from CL and it included Tetra and Red sea test kits.

Heard Tetra is better. Issue is :

There is no testing instructions. All I have is the liquids and color cards.
    Please see attached pic.

Correct me if am wrong. I think I am missing ALL the instructions and the color cards for KH/GH. Right?

Pls tell me how I can get instructions and what I am missing in the first place!

I am using twp water , so I will treat it with aquatest. I dont need freshwater ph test anytime right? What else do I need phosphate/alkalinity? I will stick to Tetra brand.

Basically ...Heeeelp
    THANKS!!
    Kris

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im not a salty member kris but if you go to tetras official website, im sure you can find the directions

but I did find this if it will help at all  

3. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

there is no cards for KH/GH you put 5ml of tank water in the vas (each in their own vas) you add one drop at a time to it and your hardness is the # of drops it takes to change from one color to another for KH it is from BLUE to YELLOW and for GH it is from RED to GREEN.. yes your missing the instructions but its easy to do...5 ml of tank water and 7 drops of saltwater PH. NH3/NH4(ammonia is 14 drops of of #1, 7 drops each of 2 and 3 wait 20 mins and check the color, for NO2 its 7 drops of each and wait 2 - 5 mins check the color...

4. Shawnie

is that the same for salt & fw tanks don? just curious for future issues a member might have :)

5. Goldwing_Don

yes, you just use the one marked freshwater ph is the only difference

6. Shawnie

thank you!

7. OP
    OP
    m

Hi guys,
    Also found this ,

Not sure why it doesnt mention the tests for NH3/NH4 ( 1,2,3bottles):confused:

This seems like the good instructions too right? Pls concur if so.

Can someone please email(or fax) me scanned original Instructions?

Thanks a lot!
    Kris

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  8. Goldwing_Don

i use this test kit because i have both SW and FW. i don't know why they didn't say anything about NH3/NH4 but as i said its "14 drops one bottle #1 and 7 drops each of #2 and #3 wait twenty min and check the color"

9. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

The original instructions are copyright material. I can share with you the following information from my experience using Tetra Laborett (since 2008).

No reagent for Nitrate in this test. However, if you happen to have some "zinc dust" from an older Nitrate test all you need to do is add one of those tiny spoons measures to a previously run Nitrite Test.

Ammonia/Ammonium or NH3/NH4 is useful for both FW and SW:
    Add 14 drops of bottle 1 in 5ml of sample water. Add 7 drops from bottle 2. gently shake. Add 7 drops form bottle 3. Wait 5 minutes. Read.

Nitrite is also useful for both FW and SW:
    To 5ml of sample water add 7 drops of bottle 1. Shake gently. Add 7 drops of bottle 2. Shake again. Wait 10 minutes. Read

GH is only useful in FW:
    There are two ways of measuring. For a quick screen, use 5ml of sample water and add one drop of reagent, shake. It should look blue. Add and shake one drop at the time. When the color changes you just count the number of drops. One drop = 17.9mg/l or 1dGH.
    For precise readings, use 10ml of sample water. Add and shake one by one. Each drop = 0.5dGH.

KH is useful for both FW and SW.
    Same instructions as GH. If the reagent comes yellow with the first drop it means you have zero dKH.

There are separate pH reagents for FW and SW. Instructions are the same for both. Add 7 drops to 5ml of sample water. Shake and compare (no need for certain time to pass).

The other "test" offered by Laborett is actually an artifact. It is just using pH and KH to estimate dissolved CO2 levels. I ended up purchasing a dissolved CO2 test from Hach since my tanks keep a lot of trace elements that introduce a lot of error in the data obtain from the chart.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

10. OP
    OP
    m

Other than whats in the Tetra laborett pack , do I need anything else for testing or is laborett enough for a newbie?
    THX:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice