Missing fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by cwa, Nov 25, 2012.

1. cwaNew MemberMember

My tank has been up and running almost flawlessly for 9 months. However, I just can't find one of my fish anywhere. Hubby and I just lifted up every plant and decoration and looked with a flashlight and can't find this guppy anywhere! Can fish just up and disappear? Do other fish eat dead ones?

2. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Other fish can consume the dead ones, but also if the aquarium is partially uncovered you might want to check on the floor around the tank. It might have jumped out. Check the filter as well. If the intake slits are large enough it might have gotten sucked in. If that's the case you'll want to put a piece of aquarium sponge over the tip of the intake pipe to avoid this happening to the other little ones.

Hope you find the little fella alive!

Good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    c

cwaNew MemberMember

The only open space is between the filter and hood and is only an inch wide. I think it would take skill to make it through that. We checked the filter as well with no luck. Thinking the bala had a snack or something.

4. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I lost a guppy and it had dies. It lost all it's colour quickly and was hidden partially in the substrate. Very hard to see. And check your floor anyway. An inch is big enough, if you have other pets (cats/dogs etc) they could eat one on the floor...

5. tunastrack

tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

If you had the Guppy in with a Bala Shark, then chances are the Bala ate the Guppy. Balas grow quite large. And will eat fish smaller than them when given the chance. So it is quite possible that things were fine until the Shark decided he had grown large enough to have him for a snack.

What are all the fish in this tank?

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

When the fish dies, it gets carried around by the current in the tank and can get wedged in somewhere. But yes, the other fish can eat it. Snails too.

7. guppygrl

guppygrlValued MemberMember

I lost a guppy a week ago and couldn't find him either. I have three assassin snails who I think ate him maybe.

Check in the plants too... my sick fish would hide in them or the ornamental pineapple. My daughter likes sponge Bob lol.

8. OP
    OP
    c

cwaNew MemberMember

The bala is still only about 3 inches or so and has left all other fish alone. No snails in the tank. I have a swordtail, white cloud tetras, guppies, yo-yo loaches, cory cats and glass catfish. And a tiny baby bristlenose pleco.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice