Missing Dorsal Fin On Female Betta Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by McKye, Apr 23, 2018.

1. McKye

McKyeNew MemberMember

We have a female beta, Starfire, who had fin rot and we were treating her for it with Melafix. The fin rot was improving but overnight her dorsal fin is completely gone, along with some of her scales around the area and some of her tissue. She does seem to be in great pain almost as if she lost a battle. She lives in her own little tank so that's not possible. She shouldn't have been able to bite it either as it should be too close to her head. We've never seen any fin rot do this and we don't know how to help her anymore than we are already at the moment. She has nothing sharp, rough, or catching in her tank She has a plant and a little skull but we have checked those just not as well as when we bought them before we put them in. Please anyone who can assist please message back. We have 13 betas and none of the others have this issue at all. We don't know or pretend to know everything so if there is something we missed please let us know. Thank you.
    20180422_232213.jpg
    (will try to upload a better pic as soon as I can. A bit grainy my phone sucks)

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Someone with eyes will look at your fish soon. Meantime, please post your water parameters, tank size, conditioners you use, heater?
    I’ve learned the hard way the only thing melafix does is smell.
    Hoping for the best.

3. OP
    OP
    McKye

McKyeNew MemberMember

It's a small tank, unfortunately. Just a half gallon, until we can get something bigger. No heater and just AquaSafe water conditioner. I haven't got a kit to check the parameters at the moment, sadly. Honestly, the thing that baffles me is that this seemed to happen overnight. It looks like a huge chunk of her back was taken out with the fin, like if she lost a fight with a bigger fish. If it weren't for that, I would just assume it's fin rot and try to treat it that way.

I didn't realize that Melafix was worthless, but it does explain quite a bit. She did have fin rot, but it was mild and was getting better before this happened. I was giving her treatments and everything. I'm still somewhat new to keeping bettas, so I probably made some mistake somewhere. I just want to know if there's anything I can do to help her.

Btw here is a better picture of Starfire. 30849489_1742660849143678_558264719_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  4. Gypsy13

One thing you can do is frequent partial water changes. I wish you had a liquid test kit. But if it’s fungal and eating into his body that fast you’ll need to do something my brain fog won’t let me get. Let’s see if I can find help. @75g Discus Tank @david1978 @Hunter1 any thoughts? Please. I know there’s stuff he can do now. Help!

Woke hubby up. Is that down to her spine?

5. OP
    OP
    McKye

McKyeNew MemberMember

@Gypsy13 It looks like it might be, kind of hard to tell. Its definitely going into her a ways.

6. Gypsy13

If this is a continuation of the fin rot, it’s going to be tough. Keep the water as clean as possible. Do you have any non iodized salt?

Hubby says her body looks pale. Does it?

7. OP
    OP
    McKye

McKyeNew MemberMember

We have Himalayan salt and sea salt, don't know if either of those count.

Also that is about her usual color. My gf got her and that was why was because she had such an unusual coloration.

8. Gypsy13

with that small a container you need to change the water. Try 30% at a time so as not to shock her too much. She’s in trouble.

9. OP
    OP
    McKye

McKyeNew MemberMember

k. Gf is doing a 30% water change right now.

10. Gypsy13

Is the sea salt non iodized? You can put a pinch in the water you add. It’ll help with gill function as well as slow the progress of the fungus or bacteria. I’m sorry I can’t think of what you can actually swab on her. I’ll keep trying though. You’re not alone!

11. OP
    OP
    McKye

McKyeNew MemberMember

Says it doesn't supply iodide. So that should work. I'll tell my gf to add a pinch in. And thanks, I just joined the site for this but also because both of us find ourselves here anytime we want to look something up about out betas since it is usually full of knowledge. It means a lot to both of us. We have 13 betas and love them all but this is her special baby so I know it really upset her a lot when she saw it. Also should we keep adding melafix or no?

12. Gypsy13

Stop melafix. It’s truly a waste. Go to the aquarium forum tab. If you go to the sixth section you’ll find fish diseases. If you can find the search bar in there you can put in salt bath to help. I just have to listen till I find it. But there’s a table in there telling how much salt to use per gallon to give salt baths. @Coradee we could use a link here please.

13. OP
    OP
    McKye

McKyeNew MemberMember

Thank you so much for your help! You have no idea how much it is appreciated by both of us.

14. Gypsy13

I’ll be back in just a few. Have to check to make sure no fish swam out of my pond. I’m not going anywhere.

15. OP
    OP
    McKye

McKyeNew MemberMember

Ok. I went to the fish diseases in the sixth section of the aquarium forum but was unable to find a table for it. Will keep looking.

16. Gypsy13

I’m not a whole lot of help not being able to see but I’ll do the best I can.

17. OP
    OP
    McKye

McKyeNew MemberMember

Still, you are able to help some which is all that we hoped for and really expected. My gf says you have her eternal gratitude.

18. Gypsy13

It’s ok. Don’t worry so much about the baths. Just keep the water as clean as possible. Bettas are a little sensitive to salt and I’d hate for you to use the wrong table. It won’t be much longer and someone with eyes will be checking in with us. I’ll feel much better then.

Awww. I’ve been in this sad place before too. I know how hard it is especially if there’s no one there in the middle of the night. I’m forever grateful y’all care enough to keep trying!

Found someone active I hope. @DoubleDutch could you please please look at this poor fish? Thank you!

19. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I am not a betta knower, but I am afraid the tissue is to far gone that it won't regrow (sorry). I'd euthanise it (sorry again).

20. Gypsy13

Thank you DoubleDutch. I’m very sorry to hear this. Hubby said it looked really bad. Thank you for being so quick to answer. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice