Missing Danio

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by LadyGrey, Apr 24, 2019.

1. LadyGreyValued MemberMember

one of my zebra danios is gone -- i'm pretty sure he died, he's been wasting away for about a month while the other 3 have been fine. Here's the thing -- i've been poking around the tank and I can't find him anywhere. It's a 5 gallon with a couple plastic plants so there are not many places to hide. Last time I saw him was about 6 hours ago. Could the other three have eaten him already? (they are total gluttons and are big jerks during feeding time so it wouldn't surprise me) I'd like to avoid the ammonia spike from a dead fish if possible!

2. DoughBoy93090Valued MemberMember

It’s possible they ate him, but there would be some remnants. Anything in there he could have hid in? Or could he have possibly jumped out?

3. JChiValued MemberMember

So, I had a terrible weekend last weekend and lost the baby panda cory that I had just gotten :( and I couldn't find it either. Finally I found his little body buried in the sand. I have no clue how it got buried completely, but my husband suggested raking the sand and that's when we found him. Also, I've heard of fish getting sucked up into filters too. Sorry to hear this!

4. LadyGreyValued MemberMember

i don't think he would have had the energy to jump out honestly. i was going to do a water change tomorrow anyway so i guess i'll check under the plants when i do it.

yes i was thinking i should check in the filter :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2019