Missing Bleeding Heart Tetra

spasq01

I have (had) 4 BHs in their own tank. This morning I can't seem to find the fourth one. I noticed yesterday that one of the smaller ones (the one missing) was getting chased around by one of the other smaller BHs. They usually just all stayed together. I never witnessed much aggression or chasing. Is there any chance the other three killed the fourth and ate it? I've checks all of the places they could hide and nothing.

One of the BHs I've had for exactly one year and he is by far the largest. The other three were around the same size. I have difficulty telling if the smaller ones are male or female. The largest is most certainly a male. The missing one may have been a female but 'm not sure. I've had the other three for about 8 months. I've never seen eggs in the tank. Possibly they are all male. not sure.

I've read many posts about missing fish but they are always in large tanks where it's easy to miss one. This is just a 20 gallon and they are the only fish. It's not heavily planted or decorated.

chromedome52

Bleeding Hearts are very easy to sex. Males have long dorsal fins, females have shorter, more rounded fins. The analfin of males will have long rays at the beginning, making it look deeply curved along the bottom edge. Females are more likely to have a straight edge to the analfin, or only very slightly curved.

there is the chance of the fish being killed and eaten, but you might also want to check around the outside of the tank on the floor. Harassment like that will often drive a fish to jump from the tank.

spasq01

Thanks for the reply. I thought that possibly it could have jumped out and checked around the tank earlier. Nothing. Could they have devoured the entire thing? I do not see traces of it anywhere.

spasq01

mystery solved. I have a Japanese house decoration which I moved and found the fish. I suspected that possibly it died and it floated up into the roof which is hollow. That's exactly what happened. I am assuming the stress of getting harrassed killed it. Some of the fins looks like they were nipped.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom