Misc questions for 55g FOWLR - help needed:(

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by miserkris, Mar 19, 2010.

1. m

miserkris New Member Member

Hi

1)I am starting a 55g FOWLR. When mixing saltwater how do I measure gallons?
    I have a new 32g trash can. Can I use a homedepot 5g bucket to measure in units of 5g?Is there a clear bucket with levels?:)

2)What kind meassuring cups do I need for the hobby, are standard ones from Walmart ok?

3)Just give me an approx. number: How much saltwater does cured/wet Fiji LR displace? Lb to Gallon (just approx displacement)?

4) For a new FOWLR aquarium, do the water tests have to be liquid kind or is there also a strip test for each (alk,ph,Ammonia,Nitrite, Nitrate)etc? Strips seem easier right?

5) Can someone give me links/plans for a sump that uses clear 17g rubbermaid tubs with a small storage box set for filter pads/bio balls/wet-dry etc? Wanna know what sizes to buy in WM!

6) Best brand of sea salt?

7) Is AquaSafe Water Conditioner good for treating chlorinated /twp water?
    After treating can I add salt immdtly?
    Thanks
    Kris

2. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

1)I am starting a 55g FOWLR. When mixing saltwater how do I measure gallons? I dont measure I know a approx. 42 gallon line on my can just fill to the same spot everytime.

I have a new 32g trash can. Can I use a homedepot 5g bucket to measure in units of 5g?Is there a clear bucket with levels?:) I just fill mine to a certain spot with water n use the same spot every time

2)What kind meassuring cups do I need for the hobby, are standard ones from Walmart ok? I just use a old drinking glass to merasure my salt, and as for everything else yes standard measuring spoons and cups will be fine

3)Just give me an approx. number: How much saltwater does cured/wet Fiji LR displace? Lb to Gallon (just approx displacement)? no way to measure due to porosity of the rock I just fill part way then add live rock and top it off.

4) For a new FOWLR aquarium, do the water tests have to be liquid kind or is there also a strip test for each (alk,ph,Ammonia,Nitrite, Nitrate)etc? Strips seem easier right? Strips are not accurate enough IMO the liquid test are much more accurate, plus take your water to your LFS to have them check it as well to make sure your numbers are the same.

5) Can someone give me links/plans for a sump that uses clear 17g rubbermaid tubs with a small storage box set for filter pads/bio balls/wet-dry etc? Wanna know what sizes to buy in WM! search on this site and you should find one

6) Best brand of sea salt? I like the Red Sea stuff but it is kind of "to each his own" just use a big name brand.... go ahead and buy the big bucket because you will use it lol

7) Is AquaSafe Water Conditioner good for treating chlorinated /twp water?
    After treating can I add salt immdtly? I never use it but I use RO/DI water from my filter then add salt.

Hope this helps some.... I never realized how much lighting mattered till I got into this and added a good light.... MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE TO LIVE ROCK CORALS AND FIS seem to have better colors and more active too.

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Comments in italics. Good luck!!! :)

4. r

rocky12 New Member Member

If u use a 5 gallon pale like I do here's the math on how to figure out each gallon. I would mark each gallon with a permanint marker and mark a line going from 1 to 5. Measure how long your pale is, home depot 5 gallon should be close to 14 1/4 inches, then you take 14.125 divided by 5 this comes out at 2.825. So measure going from bottom to up every 2 and 7/8 of an inch mark it, then measure the same where your first mark was.

5. OP
    OP
    m

miserkris New Member Member

Thanks, I am getting a 5g bucket asap from HD!

WHy cant I mix saltwater directly in my tank , 50 % (twice)?

Can I add Liverock/sand after filling my tank?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  6. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

you just have to be careful you dont overfill it... you can mix the salt the first time in there but after you have fish you cant because the salt is caustic to the fish n inverts you can top off with just straight water tho.

7. r

What seems to work for me is filling 2 five gallon pales of of tap water. Try to get the temp as close to 74 to 80 degrees as possible then then add your salt mix. 1/2 cup per gallon then mix for 2-5 minutes take your reading FOWLR system salinity should be around .019 to .022. Use a highly reputable tap water conditioner such as kordon,prime,api, seachem,. To get consistint salintity readings take your take time and fill your pales. Then add your water. Let tank run for 1 day before adding liverock. Your tank needs time to get the cloudiness out and to stablize. Add live rock {DO NOT ADD SUBSTRATE YET} let your tank run 4 to 6 weeks to cycle or untill no ammonia, nitrite are present. Then add substrate, something of coral orgin like live sand or crushed coral that has arginite in it for buffering (to keep the ph up and alkinity stable) Buy a turkey baster to blow off detrius on live rock during the curing process. Take your time on this, be patient and you will have happy long living fish.

8. r

Also you might want to invest in a protein skimmer during the curing process. You will see dark scum in the collection cup I have a red sea skimmer. cost was about $100.00 very effiecent for the money. empty collection cup every 4 to 5 days this is one the best investments I made. This smell can really stink just to let you know. keep skimming after all is done.

9. locoyo386

locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Not sure why this is really important, unless you want to get a set gallon volume less than the 32 gallon trash can. If you are going to kix the whole 32 gallons, than just add water to the top of the tank leaving some room for the sloshing and you will be ok. Add the salt according to the 30 gallons and see what it comes out ot be, than add as needed.

Yes, the regular cup size will do just fine.

This is harded than it sounds, but I might say around 1/4 of a gallon per 10 lb of rock.

Well if you are patient, than the strips are just fine. The only one really needed is the nitrite one. You can always get the water tested for free, most pet stores anyways.

For sump, basically anything works. You just have to figure out the plumbing.

It depends on who you ask, I use Oceanic.

Well it is recomended to use RO/DI water. If you really have to use tap water you can also use Prime or something like that, it is from SeaChem. You might experience algea due to the tap water. Someone recomemded a ptrotein skimmer, but in my experience in a FOWLR, it is really not neccessary.

10. Raamiah

Raamiah Valued Member Member

I just set up my 55 gallon and it is cycling right now. I got about 50 gallons of saltwater from a local aquarium as that is all I had in water jugs. I put about 50-60 lbs of live rock in the tank and I ended up with about 8-9 gallons of water left over. Also I had about 70 lbs of sand in there as well. That will also offset the volume of water in the tank.

Again this isn't science but I HTH.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice