Miracle of life... Or just bugs?

johncondor
Hi,

I have 6 WCMM in a cycled 5gal. Today during feeding I noticed a few bubbles moving in weird ways only to discover they are possible fry. Any great ways of identification of WCMM fry vs say bugs? Do bugs lay eggs in the middle of winter? No recent plant additions or anything like that...

I've included my very own nearly impossible to look at . But to the veteran eye, it may reveal more.

Please keepers of fish lore, I beseech you. Lend me your wisdom!

IMG_20200118_100731541.jpg

Sprinkle
This is a total miracle of life! These little "bugs" are actually fish fry! To raise them you can put them in a spare tank, breeder net or breeder box to prevent them from being eaten by adult fish. Waht fish are you keeping in your tank?

juniperlea
Lucky you, OP!!!! Congratulations!

johncondor
Sprinkle said:
This is a total miracle of life! These little "bugs" are actually fish fry! To raise them you can put them in a spare tank, breeder net or breeder box to prevent them from being eaten by adult fish. Waht fish are you keeping in your tank?
I've got 6 white clouds. I'm not really set up to have them in another tank at the moment. I've got lots of moss hanging around though and I try to keep the fish well fed...

Might be a bit of a small circle of life in there, but I'll be keeping a close eye on them!

Might it be possible to make a tiny fry tank within the confines of the "bigger" tank?

Sprinkle
johncondor said:
I've got 6 white clouds. I'm not really set up to have them in another tank at the moment. I've got lots of moss hanging around though and I try to keep the fish well fed...

Might be a bit of a small circle of life in there, but I'll be keeping a close eye on them!

Might it be possible to make a tiny fry tank within the confines of the "bigger" tank?
You can buy or make DIY tank divider and divide the tank into two where you keep the fry and on the other side you keep your adult fish.

mattgirl
When not prepared for fry the best one can do is give them a fighting chance by giving them lots of places to hang out kinda out of the reach of the adults and then let nature do what is natural in nature. The strongest will survive.

johncondor
mattgirl said:
When not prepared for fry the best one can do is give them a fighting chance by giving them lots of places to hang out kinda out of the reach of the adults and then let nature do what is natural in nature. The strongest will survive.
We'll see. I can only find three at the moment, so maybe they've already been preyed on or I dunno. We'll see!

Fun times with incidental breeding!

Top Bottom