Minors Buying Fish

Should minors be allowed to purchase fish?

  • Yes

    Votes: 28 57.1%
  • No

    Votes: 21 42.9%

  • Total voters
    49

AxolotlAquarist

Valued Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
37
Points
53
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am a minor, and I have never entered a fish store and been allowed to buy a fish, snail, frog, or any other animal without a parent or legal guardian present. I understand that this rule probably applies to all living creatures - that pet stores shouldn't be allowed to let eight-year-olds buy rabbits and whatnot. It probably helps prevent accidental animal abuse and holds off angry parents, but I believe a fifteen-year-old should be allowed to buy a guppy. What is your opinion? Should pet stores value the lives of their fish and be certain the animals aren't being bought off a mere whim, or should minors be allowed to choose fish for themselves because, after all, you don't have to be 18 to keep a guppy alive.
 

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Messages
76
Reaction score
27
Points
18
Experience
5 to 10 years
AxolotlAquarist said:
I am a minor, and I have never entered a fish store and been allowed to buy a fish, snail, frog, or any other animal without a parent or legal guardian present. I understand that this rule probably applies to all living creatures - that pet stores shouldn't be allowed to let eight-year-olds buy rabbits and whatnot. It probably helps prevent accidental animal abuse and holds off angry parents, but I believe a fifteen-year-old should be allowed to buy a guppy. What is your opinion? Should pet stores value the lives of their fish and be certain the animals aren't being bought off a mere whim, or should minors be allowed to choose fish for themselves because, after all, you don't have to be 18 to keep a guppy alive.
Yes I agree, you should he at least 13 to buy a freshwater fish, and have a guardian with you to buy a saltwater fish unless you show them your experience. Shouldnt petstores want you to just go broke there? With this rule they probably lose about 1,000 dollars a year.
 

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,110
Reaction score
3,187
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
The last time a thread like this came up, it got ugly but I’m gonna say my 2 cents. A 30 year old can be just as ignorant or flat out cruel as a 10 year old. At the same time, a 10 year old who does their research I would gladly sell fish to over the 30 year old that dosen’t. Couldn't care less about age limits when a lack of knowledge is the bigger issue.
 

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,501
Reaction score
2,099
Points
308
Experience
1 year
I would let it becaus you can’t assume that all 8 year olds will keep a fish in a bowl.

I would make it a requirement for a pet store to ask a set of questions about the habitat and care the animal will get. This will. Are sure that kids with bad habitats or no knowledge of the animal won’t get the animal but kids that know about the care and have a good home habitat can.
 

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Messages
76
Reaction score
27
Points
18
Experience
5 to 10 years
2211Nighthawk said:
The last time a thread like this came up, it got ugly but I’m gonna say my 2 cents. A 30 year old can be just as ignorant or flat out cruel as a 10 year old. At the same time, a 10 year old who does their research I would gladly sell fish to over the 30 year old that dosen’t. Couldn't care less about age limits when a lack of knowledge is the bigger issue.
Exactly. When I was working at a fish store (we are really friendly and don't make a profit from the store, its just for fun and all money earned goes back into the store for better equipment, fish, etc.) One 34 year old guy asked me how to care for a cichlid in a 5 gal. I told him this was UN acceptable and told him he should get a smaller fish, like a guppy, and put a filter and heater in. So he decided he was going to get a clownfish. This was completely unacceptable. I used my rights to refuse selling it to him. Another time, a 9 year old came in wanting to buy a clown knife. He showed me a picture on his mothers phone of his 280 gal, which looked completely fine to me. He told me the water levels and temperature. I happily sold him the clown knife, and about 3 weeks later his mom came in and showed me how well itwas doing. She told me that he was taking care of it all by himself!
 

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,501
Reaction score
2,099
Points
308
Experience
1 year
Sometimes LFSs are kinda crazy.

I remember one kid at an LFS buying a red tail catfish with his family.

It was for a 55.

The mom asked what they could feed him.

The owner replied bloodworms, which was a reasonable answer as it was a tiny red tail(3 inches).

Then, the mom said, “Would 1-2 worms daily be enough?”

I just walked away. I didn’t hear what the owner said, but he probably told her about a cube a day would be good.

He also said that the fish would outgrow the 55.
 

ledlight

New Member
Messages
25
Reaction score
10
Points
3
I am under 18 and I have never had any store not sell me a fish because of that. One time I even had to sign a paper to buy some African dwarf frogs and when I got home I realised the paoepaper said "must be 18 to buy live animals." They didnt really check lol or maybe I look 18 or older. Idk probably not. But I think it doesnt matter because even if the parent is there they dont necesarrily know how to take care of the fish properly either. They could even be the one telling their kid the misinformation. I mean a lot of parents go buy their kid a goldfish in a ridiculously tiny bowl as an "easy" first pet.
 

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Messages
76
Reaction score
27
Points
18
Experience
5 to 10 years
ledlight said:
I am under 18 and I have never had any store not sell me a fish because of that. One time I even had to sign a paper to buy some African dwarf frogs and when I got home I realised the paoepaper said "must be 18 to buy live animals." They didnt really check lol or maybe I look 18 or older. Idk probably not. But I think it doesnt matter because even if the parent is there they dont necesarrily know how to take care of the fish properly either. They could even be the one telling their kid the misinformation. I mean a lot of parents go buy their kid a goldfish in a ridiculously tiny bowl as an "easy" first pet.
This happens with hermit crabs also. Parents buy their kids a hermit crab with a painted shell, a small hermit crab enclosure, colorful gravel, some hermit crab store food, and fill a small bowl up with tap water and think its fine. This is not okay. My hermies have an 18x18x18 terrarium, with coconut fiber and sand, heated, shady and lighted, planted, fresh fruits and veggies every day, large sponge, and a shallow on one side deep on the other bowls of fresh and salt. Occasionally misted by the magical rain fairy with a dechlorinated and heated squirt bottle.
 

ledlight

New Member
Messages
25
Reaction score
10
Points
3
No matter what age you are you should take a short quiz before buying said animal lol. The sad thing is some people would put the right answers but then still do the opposite and not take good care of them. Some people just don't care.
 

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Messages
76
Reaction score
27
Points
18
Experience
5 to 10 years
ledlight said:
No matter what age you are you should take a short quiz before buying said animal lol. The sad thing is some people would put the right answers but then still do the opposite and not take good care of them. Some people just don't care.
That is why you should have to show them proof of your tank existing like a picture!!

AxolotlAquarist said:
I am a minor, and I have never entered a fish store and been allowed to buy a fish, snail, frog, or any other animal without a parent or legal guardian present. I understand that this rule probably applies to all living creatures - that pet stores shouldn't be allowed to let eight-year-olds buy rabbits and whatnot. It probably helps prevent accidental animal abuse and holds off angry parents, but I believe a fifteen-year-old should be allowed to buy a guppy. What is your opinion? Should pet stores value the lives of their fish and be certain the animals aren't being bought off a mere whim, or should minors be allowed to choose fish for themselves because, after all, you don't have to be 18 to keep a guppy alive.
I should email this thread to every Petco and pet smart in America. They might understand. Then again, they just want to make money so...
 

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Messages
909
Reaction score
445
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
Once I went to a Petsmart and picked up a pair of rams and nobody batted an eye, but when I went to a LFS look at fish, the manager immediately approached me and told me that I wasn't buying any live fish in his store and gave me suspicious looks the whole time while I was there, from then on the first thing I do is find an employee that seems knowledgeable and start having a conversation with him about fish before I get the fish, it seems after talking with them they see how experienced I am and they (normally) don't question me. Now a lot of the people from fishstores actually enjoy talking with me and give me discount on fish.
 

Adrian Burke

Valued Member
Messages
230
Reaction score
91
Points
48
Experience
Just started
Honestly I agree that anybody over 13 can keep a fish. I voted no because, like, you don’t want an 8 year old buying a goldfish for 50 cents and then doing something stupid like stomping on it or keeping it in a bathtub.
 

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,622
Reaction score
3,043
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
My issue with a minor buying a living being of any kind is if the parents aren’t prepared or willing to keep them. I’ve been in stores when angry parents are bringing pets back that their children bought. I know lots of young people very capable of caring for pets. But without the parent there’s no way to know if that pet is welcome. And what if the angry parent just flushes the fish? And you’re perfectly right in saying lots of adults carry a cruelty gene in them. Anyway, I voted no. Sorry.
 

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Messages
3,950
Reaction score
2,212
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
FishLoverEmma0 said:
Yes I agree, you should he at least 13 to buy a freshwater fish, and have a guardian with you to buy a saltwater fish unless you show them your experience. Shouldnt petstores want you to just go broke there? With this rule they probably lose about 1,000 dollars a year.
Why does the value of freshwater fish differ from marines? A fish is a fish, both have lives and equally important.

A reputable store shouldn't sell animals to minors. Period. If a child wants a fish bad, then go with your parents - or guardian - and purchase said fish together. Not exactly rocket science IMO . A life is a life, and ecen though a minor may be responsible, what child understands the consequence of a life - I thought I did, and honestly 2000's me would say something completely different to 2018 me.
 

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,588
Reaction score
2,078
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
2211Nighthawk said:
The last time a thread like this came up, it got ugly but I’m gonna say my 2 cents. A 30 year old can be just as ignorant or flat out cruel as a 10 year old. At the same time, a 10 year old who does their research I would gladly sell fish to over the 30 year old that dosen’t. Couldn't care less about age limits when a lack of knowledge is the bigger issue.
You know what's funny? When I was 15, there was a girl in my fish club that was giving her cories away. I said I'll buy them and she said no because I was under age. I didn't have as much experience as I do now but I still had lots! I was so **** at her for judging because of age.
 

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
743
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Well, nothing is more cruel than the Wal-Mart fish section and they are still allowed to buy/have/sell fish.
Just saying.

I understand the point of having an adult with minors to ensure it is ok for you to have a fish or any other pet. I think it is more of a liability thing. You know, your kid goes to a store and get sold an animal. If the parents aren't happy, that could be trouble for the store. Plus a kid should be accompanied by an adult. A, let say, 8 years old kid by himself in a store shouldn't really happen, no?
 

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,588
Reaction score
2,078
Points
358
Experience
5 to 10 years
JoeCamaro said:
Well, nothing is more cruel than the Wal-Mart fish section and they are still allowed to buy/have/sell fish.
Just saying.
Think MANY people agree with that, but we can't do much. Technically they aren't abusing there fish because "some" are still living in the tanks.
 

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
748
Points
103
It will also be dictated by the laws where you live. In England and Wales it is illegal to sell animals to anyone under the age of 16 (Aminal Welfare Act 2006), which seems like quite a sensible age to me. The act also means it is illegal for someone under the age of 16 to be awarded an aminal as a prize, which is probably why you never see goldfish being given away as prizes here.

The act also covers the treatment of animals, with heavy fines emposes on sellers who do not abide by the rules. I suspect this is why betta fish are always in there own tanks here, you never see them in little cups.
 

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
743
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Mazeus said:
It will also be dictated by the laws where you live. In England and Wales it is illegal to sell animals to anyone under the age of 16 (Aminal Welfare Act 2006), which seems like quite a sensible age to me. The act also means it is illegal for someone under the age of 16 to be awarded an aminal as a prize, which is probably why you never see goldfish being given away as prizes here.

The act also covers the treatment of animals, which heavy fines emposes on sellers who do not abide by the rules. I suspect this is why betta fish are always in there own tanks here, you never see them in little cups.
That should be implemented everywhere. I like it.
 

Andy S

Valued Member
Messages
150
Reaction score
75
Points
63
Experience
More than 10 years
Mazeus said:
It will also be dictated by the laws where you live. In England and Wales it is illegal to sell animals to anyone under the age of 16 (Aminal Welfare Act 2006), which seems like quite a sensible age to me. The act also means it is illegal for someone under the age of 16 to be awarded an aminal as a prize, which is probably why you never see goldfish being given away as prizes here.

The act also covers the treatment of animals, with heavy fines emposes on sellers who do not abide by the rules. I suspect this is why betta fish are always in there own tanks here, you never see them in little cups.
But it wasn't always like this. I remember growing up in England and every year the fair came round and one of the most common prizes given out was a goldfish in a plastic bag. No age limit on the kids playing the game either. I wonder how many goldfish arrived home where they didn't even have a bowl let alone a tank. There must have been thousands of goldfish over the years that perished as a result.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom