Minor Rainbow Cichlid Dilemma 29 Gallon Tank

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I LOVE my rainbow cichlids! However, they are so active, I really don't think my 29g is big enough for them. I would like to put them in one of my 55g's, but I'd like some advice on which one.

I have a tropical community with angels, a rainbowfish, cories, plecos, platys, mollies, baby whale, neon tetra, and bolivian rams (I think I got everyone listed).

I also have two 55's with a pair of JD's and a pair of cons.

I have another 55 with one JD, one pair cons, and an RTS.

I have other 55's, but I won't consider putting them in those tanks due to the current stockings.

Any advice or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks everyone!

2. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Looks like the 55 with 1 JD and the pair of cons could/might go into the 29...but....how big is the extra JD?

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Oh no, Ted, I'm not moving anyone into the 29g. I was going to add the rainbow cichlids to the current stocking of the 55g.

So do you think adding the rainbow cichlids to the 55g with the JD, pair of cons, and RTS would be the best tank?

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I think the rainbows are far too peaceful to live with cons or a JD. IMO they would do better in the community tank. Or... there's always Craigslist! :p

5. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

My rainbows live with my JD's with no problems or nipped fins but there are no cons in there. Rainbows are pretty peaceful so I would try the tropical community first to see how they do. My angels get along great with them as well. I think that the cons would bully them to death though.

6. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Like CH said they are probably the most peaceful species of Central American fish you could keep. You could keep them in any community tank you have.

They could probably go in the 55 with the jack and cons. The cons may pick on them a bit when they spawn but they should be ok. I had my pair in a 90 with a pair of Hypsophrys Nicaraguensis ( Nic cichlid) where the male Nic was close to 10" and the Rainbows were M 3.5" and the F was under 3". Of course they both spawned at the same time with the nics in the middle of the tank and the rainbows high up on the glass in a corner. When the nics would come after them it was interesting that both rainbows together would go and attack as a team. I wonder since I believe you have two males if they will bond somewhat and stick together??? But in any case just because they are an easy going cichlid they are a Central and can hold their own.

Something elso also if they are both males and seem to pick on eachother, have you thought of splitting them up? That could be an option also. You could put one in the 55 and the other in another tank.

Brian

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Hmmm, I'm thinking since they have cons in their current tank and there haven't been any issues, I'll put them in the 55 with the JD and cons. That tank has the most available swimming space.

If I have any issues with them, at least I have several other tanks as options. I can always put the cons in another tank if they wreak havoc with them. George, the JD in the tank, is very laid back, at least with other fish. Feeding time, he's at the front of the line for a nip at my fingers.

Thanks, everyone! You guys are awesome!

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

UPDATE: Took me long enough, but I put one of the rainbow cichlids with the 55g with George the JD, Cena the RTS, and the pair of cons. He's LOVING it!

The other Rainbow cichlid stayed in the 29g, which houses a pair of pink cons. Yes, I paired them on purpose. 5 convict spawns a month just isn't enough, I guess. He's been much more active and out and about. If I start to think the 29g isn't big enough for him, I'm going to put him in another 55g JD tank.

Yes, I have more tanks that I do sense, but MTS has made this situation a lot easier:)