minor fin rot on betta

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
As everyone knows (and is going to nag me about 'cause i don't have a picture of) I have a pretty new betta, Kasai I had him my 1 gallon Q-tank for new arrivals for about a week or so, seeing that nothing was wrong I went and reaclimated him to my 10 gallon tank and he loves it (I dare say he likes it more than Inari did but another debate for another time) Well a few days ago i notices some finage that wasn't looking quite right I got concerned so I warmed the water up a bit from 73 F to about 78-79F so that it was warmer I also dropped an antifungal (and apparently bacterial) tab into the tank I was wondering what could cause the sudden change in his finnage? Could it be stress from the new environment? I checked my specs and they all look pretty good my pH is a bit basic but it always does that any ideas? I need to get on my other computer to post my specs but i can do that if that would help anyone...

~inari

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you recently got him he probably got fin rot or a bacterial infection at the store from being kept in a small dirty cup. It takes a while after bringing him home before it becomes obvious.

The meds should help but he needs to be in water that is at least 80-82 degrees ALL the time. 73 degrees is much too cold for a Betta and will cause his metabolism to slow down leading to constipation and makes him suseptible to ich and other parasites.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
78-79 degrees is a minimum... if kept in cold water it will take the fins FOREVER to heal (I have experienced this). Like Phloxface said, 82+ degrees should definitely help.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What exactly is wrong with the fins? Color, size, ragged, clamped, etc? Also what are your nitrate levels?

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
my nitrate levels are at 0 and his fins are just ragged looking and i have made a clerical error the absolute lowest that my tank ever gets is 75 i try to keep it around 78 or so usually it stays up at 80 but that is just my tank sorry about that my tank got a bit of a chill the other day so i misread my thermometer i tend to keep the water a bit warmer sorry about that

~inari

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
quick update question:

Since i'm too lazy to figure out how to edit my last post i'll just add to it really fast. I was wondering if I should return him to the Q-tank or leave him in where he is. Like i said in my first post, I'm using anti-fungal tabs (by jungle) the claim on the box is that it will help with fin rot and a few other bacterial issues so that is what i have been using....

~inari

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Leave him where he is. The temp needs to be about 82 and you can't acheive that temp with a 1 gallon bowl.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
alright and btw it is not a bowl, it has a filter and light I would never let them sit in their own filth after what Inari had to go through anyway thanx

~inari

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score
My mistake. I have only heard of 1 gallon bowls, not tanks, so I thought it was a typo. My apologies.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
no problem I just wish there was a realiable heater for something that small... o well i keep it more as a planted tank with no one int it

~inari

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom