Minimum Tank Size For Yellow Tang?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by watermelon46, Aug 18, 2019.

1. watermelon46

watermelon46Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +142
    Experience:
    1 year
    We're getting a 50-65 gallon reef and I'm trying to figure out the stocking. I'd love to have some kind of tang but thought they needed bigger tanks. I think yellow tang is my best bet. I did research and many different sites give different information, some say you need 100 gallons, some say you only need 55. I'm wondering what your experiences are. Also, if I kept a yellow tang, would it limit the kinds of peaceful fish I'd be able to keep? Kind of wanted this to be community setup with peaceful reef fish.

2. bettaf1sh 7789

bettaf1sh 7789Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    I wouldn’t get one. My tank is about 100 gallons total and with my dimensions, I wouldn’t have a yellow tang. Some people will say a 4 ft tank (55 gallon size) is sufficient and some say you want 6ft or more. What are the dimensions of your tank? I believe kole tangs and Tomini tangs can be housed in something 4ft in length but I’m not positive. I think you may risk having some issues with aggression if the tang isn’t happy in that size tank, you also have a higher risk of getting ich with tangs. If you’re set on having one, I’d make sure to get it from a lfs that would be willing to take it back if it didn’t work out.

3. OP
    OP
    watermelon46

watermelon46Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +142
    Experience:
    1 year
    Not sure about the dimensions; we don't have it and are looking for a cheap one on craigslist. I'm looking for a longer style so they can have more swimming room.
    Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go with Flameback angelfish instead as a big more centerpiece fish. I'm thinking maybe a pair or just one single one.