Minimum Tank Size For Single Crayfish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fahn, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I have a very young wild-caught crayfish that I am currently keeping in a (vacant) 5 gallon shrimp tank. I know that crayfish are opportunistic and would most likely munch on the shrimp, so I would like to give him another home. Not sure his exact variety, but was caught in a temporary pond while looking for aquarium wood.

Would a 10 gallon tank be sufficient for a single crayfish?

2. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

10 gallon tank would be fine for a crayfish.

3. Vortexed

Vortexed Valued Member Member

one could live in a 10 gallon, they grow to be about 5 inches. But even then it may be a bit cramped, they could live in there. But SHOULD they live in there?

4. FlutterFish

Well, I'd assumed that they were a dwarf crayfish, but looking at it knowing it's a wild-caught, yes, it'll need probably a 20 gallon long.

5. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I'll just return it, I think it is the Panama City crayfish, which is endangered and endemic to NW Florida scattered in a few locales near Panama City.

6. FlutterFish

Yeah, it's good to be careful around wild-caught. Maybe go with a dwarf variety, they'll be fine in a 10 gallon.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, I wouldn't do this type of crayfish in a 10g.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice