Minimum Tank Size For Single Crayfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I have a very young wild-caught crayfish that I am currently keeping in a (vacant) 5 gallon shrimp tank. I know that crayfish are opportunistic and would most likely munch on the shrimp, so I would like to give him another home. Not sure his exact variety, but was caught in a temporary pond while looking for aquarium wood.

Would a 10 gallon tank be sufficient for a single crayfish?

Vortexed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
one could live in a 10 gallon, they grow to be about 5 inches. But even then it may be a bit cramped, they could live in there. But SHOULD they live in there?

FlutterFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, I'd assumed that they were a dwarf crayfish, but looking at it knowing it's a wild-caught, yes, it'll need probably a 20 gallon long.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
one could live in a 10 gallon, they grow to be about 5 inches. But even then it may be a bit cramped, they could live in there. But SHOULD they live in there?
I'll just return it, I think it is the Panama City crayfish, which is endangered and endemic to NW Florida scattered in a few locales near Panama City.

FlutterFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, it's good to be careful around wild-caught. Maybe go with a dwarf variety, they'll be fine in a 10 gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom