Minimum tank size for Apistogramma Cacatuoides Super Red?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mikerox29, Aug 11, 2015.

1. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Hi All,

Would just like some input regarding minimum tank size for the Apistogramma Cactuoides Super Red?
    The tank will be for breeding them and I am thinking about 1m 2f for this,

Thanks

2. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

A 20 long would be perfect for them.

3. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Awesome do you know anything about their breeding?

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Agreed with BDpups, a 20 long.

5. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Awesome info thanks guys!

Would you consider these a difficult apisto to breed?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  6. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Clean water with lower PH should be fine. Terracotta pots will work as caves for them to lay eggs in. Bare bottom with sponge filters is fine too for breeding. Keep it simple and you should have success. Cockatoos have been tank raised for so long they are fairly easy to keep and breed.

7. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Awesome. I don't really want to play with the PH of the water which is about 7.0? Can i just add driftwood to lower this?

Thanks

8. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I guess I'm not sure how well the driftwood will work. And consider if it does lower the PH, which in my opinion it will not lower it much unless you a have so much wood in the tank there won't be room for fish, then what happens when you do a water change? It will raise the PH. So you can try it. It will give you the black water look which is nice for apistos. But trying to lower it with wood is not something that will even work very well in my experience. At least is doesn't lower it much.

9. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Do you think they could breed in a PH of 7.0? I thought the driftwood wouldnt work too well to be honest. I just want them to breed but dont want to get them if they will not breed in my PH because I have heard do much on this site that altering the PH with chemicals is just playing with fire

10. The Red SeverumValued MemberMember

Stable PH is more important than low PH.

11. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Is that the same for breeding? Will a stable PH higher than what they require still allow for breeding?

12. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Lowering is not as difficult as it has been made out to be. You just need to have enough in another container that is the same PH for when you do water changes. Using something natural like peat works well. But like I said, you will need to be doing this in another container to match what is in your tank. So it's more space needed, money, time etc...

But, if you have hard water, no amount of peat will lower the PH. You will need to use RO water, then buffer that.

So like I said earlier, Cockatoos have been tank raised for so long they are easy to keep and breed. I would think the only problem might be if you have very hard water that it will harden the eggs and they will never hatch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice