Minimum Tank Requirement For Ryukin?

TagTeam

I have a Ryukin Goldfish in a 45 long currently, but I have to move him.
What is the minimum size of tank I need to keep him longterm?

Also, if I were to add a Black Moor what size would I need (to house both of them)?

david1978

Generally its 20 gallon for the first fancy and 10 for each additional but I believe that's one of the large fancies so I would say 30 for it and 10 additional for the black moor. Which puts you were you are now.

Redshark1

To start with it depends on the size of the fish and consequently the bioload. Some grow massive, others are stunted.

aussieJJDude

Ryukins aren't that massive, most max out at around 6-8 inches in lenght - similar to the size of a black moor.

I would suggest a min of 29 gallon for the both, but the more space you offer the better it would be for the fish.

BottomDweller

The general guide for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons per goldie so 40 gallons would be good for both. No fancies in anything less than 40 gallons though.

Skavatar

being that its a long tank, 3 or 4.

just test the water parameters weekly. do water changes when nitrates get to 40ppm. remember "red is dead" "moar pewpew, less QQ"

upgrade your filter media, replace the cartridge with polyfill, sponge, and ceramic bio media. and you'll be fine.

goldface

20g minimum for one goldfish. 10 gallons for each additional fish. Never heard the general rule being 20 gallon per goldfish.

aussieJJDude

20g minimum for one goldfish. 10 gallons for each additional fish. Never heard the general rule being 20 gallon per goldfish.
There's loads of general rules. So far, I've heard:
- 20 gallon for one, 10 for the rest
- 20 gallon each
- 15 gallon each
- 30 gallon for one, 10 for rest

And that's to name a few, there's of course variations of that. Not to mention surface area, and then dividing that - something that people on this forum definitely doesn't do!

goldface

There's loads of general rules. So far, I've heard:
- 20 gallon for one, 10 for the rest
- 20 gallon each
- 15 gallon each
- 30 gallon for one, 10 for rest

And that's to name a few, there's of course variations of that. Not to mention surface area, and then dividing that - something that people on this forum definitely doesn't do!
Yeah, that's true. It's just that I hear enough goldfish breeders suggest that one. It's pretty reasonable I think. I guess I can make up my own general rule. Maybe it'll catch on. Nah, I like the first one well enough.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
  • Question
Replies
Views
pattersonbear
Replies