Minimum number of cherry shrimps?

Elegyforthedreamers

I have a 5 gallon tank and as an absolute beginner I'm really nervous about adding creatures and I don't want too many shrimps. Some sources state that you need a minimum of 10 shrimps to limit dominant behaviour(?) What if I just buy 2? Would they fight? (Assuming I don't know their genders since I am buying online and cannot choose)

Seasoldier

Hi & welcome to the site. Any number of shrimp will depend on what hardscape & plants you're going to add (if any) & also & more importantly what fish you are going to have. It will also depend on what kind of shrimp you intend having, if you're think red cherries, then with 2 you'll never see them so a waste of time really pretty much the same for Amano, whereas if you're thinking Bamboo shrimp which are bigger two will be fine. I have 6 Bamboo & 6 Amano in my 5 foot tank, I see the Bamboo often as they sit on plants etc. & filter feed but I don't see the Amano that often, I also put 40 red cherry shrimp in & only see one every now & again but my tank is heavily planted & aquascaped.

Upvote 0

Elegyforthedreamers

Thank you for the info! My tank is planted, but it's not a jungle. What do you think is a good number for cherry shrimps in 5 gallons? I'm not planning to add any fish, at least not yet for a long time.

Upvote 0

Seasoldier

In a 5 gallon you'd be OK up to about 25 to 30 cherries, just a word of advice, make sure your filter inlet has a sponge or fine mesh cover on it or your shrimp will get sucked into the filter.

Upvote 0

Elegyforthedreamers

Oh wow that's a larger number than i expected. Thanks for the advice too!

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Oh wow that's a larger number than i expected. Thanks for the advice too!
I started with 10 cherries in my 2.5 gallon bowl just over a year ago. the number has exploded to way too many to actually count. fortunately they have a very low bio-load so you can have a lot more shrimp than you can fish on a small space.

The most important thing to keep in mind is they do much better if they start out in a well established tank. They feed on bio-film. There will be very little in a tank that has just been set up so I recommend running it at least 3 months before adding shrimp. You may be able to cut that time down by adding lots of plants that have come from a well established tank. the plants will have bio-film on them. you do want to be sure the tank is cycled before adding them. They don't do well if there is any ammonia or nitrites in the tank so won't do well through the cycling process.

My bowl had been running for at least a year before I got brave enough to add shrimp. you shouldn't have to wait that long though. :)

Upvote 0

Elegyforthedreamers

Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for a tank that has just been cycled then?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for a tank that has just been cycled then?
If you are sure the cycle is done you may be able to add the shrimp now. Have you gone through adding ammonia, had the nitrite spike and now all you see is nitrates? If yes then get some Bacter AE. It will help by adding bio-film to the tank and is food for the shrimp. Cherry shrimp aren't as delicate as some of the other species of shrimp so I do think as long as the tank is cycled and you add the Bacter AE your shrimp will thrive.

https://www.amazon.com/GlasGarten-B...qid=1627270262&sprefix=bacter+,aps,238&sr=8-2

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Catappa
Replies
Views
wetfalafel
Replies