Minimum for plant holding tank

FrogLegged

What elements should I have (heater, circulation)as a minimum for a 10 gallon holding tank for plants while I sort out the main aquarium? Thinking 1-2 weeks would do it. Thanks

Best Answer - View RayClem's answer

RayClem

FrogLegged said:
What elements should I have (heater, circulation)as a minimum for a 10 gallon holding tank for plants while I sort out the main aquarium? Thinking 1-2 weeks would do it. Thanks
You really do not need anything special. A plastic bin with enough dechlorinate water to cover the plants will work nicely. They should be fine at room temperature; no heater is needed. They should be fine without a filter; remember that in nature, plants are the filter for ponds and streams. They would appreciate some light, so putting the plants in a room with some sunlight exposure would be ideal. If you are planning on fertilizing the plants once they are in your aquarium, you might add the appropriate dose based on the amount of water in the bin, but you should not need to add any more unless they will remain in the bin more than two weeks. If you do not add fertilizer, you could add a small pinch of fish food to provide some nutrients for the plants. When I cycle a new tank, I add plants to the tank and then use fish food as my ammonia source until the tank is cycled sufficiently to starting adding fish a few at a time.

FrogLegged

Great - that's easy enough - thanks for the fish food tip
Also, do they need to be rooted in something because I've seen them just floating around at the LFS?

RayClem

FrogLegged said:
Great - that's easy enough - thanks for the fish food tip
Also, do they need to be rooted in something because I've seen them just floating around at the LFS?
No need to root them until you get them planted in the tank. Even then some plants do not have to be rooted. Floating plants should never be rooted. Stem plant can be rooted or left floating. Anubias and Java ferns have rhyzomes that should never be buried. However, if you glue or tie them to rocks or driftwood, they will eventually grow roots down into the substrate.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom