Minimal Setup For Shrimp Breeding

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Florian Pellet, Apr 19, 2017.

1. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone,

I just put up a couple shelves in my apartment with bright hanging LEDs to be able to play with tropical plants. But now I'm obviously thinking of using part of this space for a tank...

I was thinking of maybe setting up a shrimp tank for breeding. Either RCS if I want simple, or Taiwan Bee if I wanna play it cool.

What would be the minimal (compact) setup for successfully breeding these? It needs to be somewhat lightweight while being nice looking. Though, as opposed to my other tanks, this one wouldn't be in my room so I don't care about noise.

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Cherry shrimp could breed in a 1 gallon, but you'd have a difficult time keeping the water parameters and temperature stable. Shrimp like stability. A 10 gallon would be a easier to manage.

Plants are a good idea to have with shrimp, because they filter out nitrates and house biofilm.

Also be sure to research the requirements for cherries (neocaridina) and bee or crystal shrimp (caridina), they are quite different :)

3. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

I started a thread on this but never got an answer. I saw a 2 gallon octogan tank I wanted to set up for cherry shrimp as all my other tanks they would be eaten in. Do they need a heater or filter if its heavily planted? Would it need any light other then window light from a southfacing window?

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Bare minimum for red cherries would be a 1g tank with a heap of java moss.

I made up 2 tanks like this for my friends twin 5 yr old boys with a few shrimp in each. They fed the shrimp twice a week and changed a cup of water every day. Both tanks ended up with around 30 adult shrimp.

The tanks lasted for over a yr before they got bored and stopped taking care of them.

5. OP
    OP
    F

The max I can do would be 5 gal. But it'd have to be all internal (filter & heater).

6. Culprit

so they don't need a heater or a filter if its heavily planted and you do wcs? thing is wcs would be soooo easy just scoop out a cup dump in a cup. You could prepare like 1 gallon of dechlorinated and just use it.

7. -Mak-

A heater isn't necessary, but it may provide stable temperatures. A filter is still a good idea because shrimp are very sensitive to water parameters. And you'd have a light anyways because of the plants.

8. Culprit

I was actually thinking low light plants would grow enough with just light from a southfacing window right? What hfilter works in a 2 gallon bowl?

9. K

Kerina Valued Member Member

I have a SW windows, the 5g gets a tiny bit of early afternoon direct light, the plants in it are doing good. I have java fern, java moss, flame moss and anubias there.

10. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I have a small--1.5g--unfiltered, unheated shrimp tank by the window. Temps can drop, but never had any issues. I have RCS, 1 Amano shrimp, and a single White Cloud Minnow fry, all of which are doing well. The only plant in there is a large mat of java moss. I don't even check for ammonia anymore, and haven't for a long time, since the moss is so great at taking care of it. The tiny bioload helps too.

11. OP
    OP
    F

For how long have you had it set up? How many RCS are there in your tank? Do they breed?

Is it filtered? Heated? Can you tell us more about your tank?

12. K

Kerina Valued Member Member

It is 5.5g rectangular filtered and heated with betta, nerite and amano. Once I move betta to 10g Ill get a shrimp colony running in the 5.5. Was only talking of this tank as far as how plants go without lamps.

13. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Not sure if this is helpful but I have a 2.5g RCS tank with a nerite and assassin, heated to 72F with a sponge filter. I have 9 RCS in there, 2 of which are berried females. It is lightly planted with dwarf hairgrass and two baby java ferns. Its been 2 months I think and they've been doing well.

14. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

The tank was setup several months now. The amano has been living there a while with a bunch of tiny, unknown anthropods. The fry and RCS (5 adults) more recent additions. I actually started out with two, but they must have been the same sex, cause they were not breeding and had them 3 months. The next purchase, the guy made sure they were berried females. I don't feed them at all. They only eat the algae, biofilm, and decomposing leaf litter. The single fry I was using as an expirament. It survived eating infuroisa and antbropods and who knows what else and has been growing at a faster rate than the fry in my main aquarium that are being fed regularly. Anyway, I digress. I'm sure if you fed them or not, they would breed readily.

15. -Mak-

Could, though you might get algae. Not sure about the filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice