Mini Cycle

1. m

mossman Valued Member Member

I made an amateur mistake the other day and rinsed my filter sponge in tap water :emoji_rage:. Now my ammonia levels are elevated (less than 0.5 ppm). I was at 0 ppm prior. I've been doing 50% water changes every day, using Seachem Prime and Stability. How long should I expect for the BB to recover? 7 days? And since Prime detoxifies ammonia, even though the level is currently elevated, it is harmless to the fish correct?

2. akcarroll12

akcarroll12 Valued Member Member

What size is your tank? Your tank should be completely cycled in 7 days if you do everything correctly. Continue to test your tank every 2-4 days. If you have any other tanks the same size, you can simply transfer the filter media. I personally would wait until all the ammonia is gone until you add fish but a more experienced fish keeper might have a second opinion on that. I hope this helps!

3. OP
    OP
    m

It's a 10 gallon, well established (3 months), and stocked. I do not have another tank. I'll be testing every day to be on the safe side.

4. OP
    OP
    m

I tested my tap water again this morning for the heck of it, and I measured 0.5ppm of ammonia! :mad: No wonder I haven't been able to get my tank levels down. Now what? I really don't want to revert to buying gallons of water from the store every week. Should my tank be able to eliminate the ammonia after my mini-cycle is complete? Daily water changes and Prime until then?

5. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Your tank should be able to handle that much ammonia in the tap once it is mature cycled. Prime and test the water, keep ammonia under 1ppm with water changes. That is the downside of a sponge, most bb is contained in it.
    You may want to consider getting a filter that houses the BB in specific place or frame, that way you can just replace the filter media as needed.

6. OP
    OP
    m

That's good to know. I won't worry about it then. Except my tank is currently at 0.25ppm and my tap water is at 0.5ppm, so maybe I shouldn't be doing water changes? I tested my tap the other day and it was 0ppm. Evidently it fluctuates. I'm using an API test kit. I suppose I could check the tap water periodically prior to doing water changes and only change the water if the tap ppm is lower than the tank ppm. Otherwise I'd be raising it.

I have a Fluval C2, which has a separate chamber filled with C-nodes. I was under the impression that this is where most bacteria lived. Regardless, I'll be sure to rinse the pre-filter/sponge only in old tank water or pre-treated tap water from now on. I knew better, but had a brain fart that day.

7. leftswerve

That's right, in the c-nodes, so you must have not had a very good cycle going to begin with. You didn't say you rinsed those. good luck.

8. OP
    OP
    m

I did not rinse the c-nodes. Only the sponge filter. I wrung it out but didn't let it dry, so maybe the chlorine in the tap water wiped out some BB down stream (i.e. from the C-nodes). Not sure. I know before cleaning it I had just reached 0ppm of ammonia within the few days prior. Nitrites have always been 0ppm when I check, and nitrates 5ppm or under.

9. leftswerve

Sounds like you have learned. Water changes are not a bad thing, the worst they can do is prolong the cycle and save a fish.

10. OP
    OP
    m

So if my tap measures 0.5 ppm and my tank is at 0.25 ppm, I should NOT do a water change, correct?

11. leftswerve

Sorry, with prime, yes, that sounds correct,

12. OP
    OP
    m

FYI, this is straight out of the tap. Just a hair under 0.5 ppm based on my color perception.

Attached Files:

13. leftswerve

I agree, and prime is your buddy