Mini Cycle

Mollyfish

Reaction score
hi my 60 litre tank been going about 4-5 months now finished cycle about 3-4. O this ago water parameters been fine ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate between 20-40, ph 7.6.
And 10 tetras in there. I use prime,and api master test kit.
Did a big clean on it beginning of the week is took out half substrate rinsed in tank water then put back in. Rinsed filter in tank water. Then put fresh water in
When checked levels Friday the ammonia .25 nitrite.25 nitrate Not quite 40 and tested yesterday same perameters today ammonia,nitrite,the same nitrate on 40
Is it possible my tank gone into a mini cycle?
Should I do water changes as don’t want to make my fish unhappy
My tap water is 40 so I monitor my tank frequently. And got 4 live plants in there plus 6 moss balls which keep moving and it’s not me doing it lol
Oh!did check levels every day after clean.
Sorry such long post just trying to make sure gave all info lol

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone removing their substrate and rinsing it. It isn't really necessary and could very well be why you are now experiencing a mini cycle. By disrupting the bacteria in the gravel and rinsing the filter during the same water change it was a bit too much cleaning all at once.

I know it is hard for someone used to a clean house to understand that they can't keep a tank spotlessly clean. You can make it look clean but the internal workings need to be allowed to get dirty to grow bacteria. Most bacteria won't grow in a spotless home.

You do need to occasionally clean the gravel but you normally do it with a gravel vac during a water change. Just continue to keep an eye on the perimeters and add prime every day until the mini cycle has worked it way out. As long as the total ammonia + nitrites are less than one add a full dose of prime. If those 2 numbers go over 1 do a water change to get them back down under 1 and then add a full dose of prime.

You don't want to remove all the ammonia with water changes because the bacteria needs it to grow big and healthy again.

Mollyfish

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone removing their substrate and rinsing it. It isn't really necessary and could very well be why you are now experiencing a mini cycle. By disrupting the bacteria in the gravel and rinsing the filter during the same water change it was a bit too much cleaning all at once.

I know it is hard for someone used to a clean house to understand that they can't keep a tank spotlessly clean. You can make it look clean but the internal workings need to be allowed to get dirty to grow bacteria. Most bacteria won't grow in a spotless home.

You do need to occasionally clean the gravel but you normally do it with a gravel vac during a water change. Just continue to keep an eye on the perimeters and add prime every day until the mini cycle has worked it way out. As long as the total ammonia + nitrites are less than one add a full dose of prime. If those 2 numbers go over 1 do a water change to get them back down under 1 and then add a full dose of prime.

You don't want to remove all the ammonia with water changes because the bacteria needs it to grow big and healthy again.
Ok thank you was told to give a good clean every now and then by my lfs
I’ll keep an eye on it and just add prime everyday unless it goes higher

Mollyfish

Reaction score
Mollyfish said:
And try to stick with the vacuum lol

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollyfish said:
A good clean usually involves a good vacuuming but if they told you to take it out and rinse it off I think I would be taking any other advice they give you with a smile and a thank you but would totally ignore it.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
as the above said, a gravel vacuum is the best way to clean substrate. When i do water changes on my 112g, every now and again I'll get a bacteria bloom. Within an hour or two it settles. But you want to be careful cleaning stuff in your tank, not to clean too much. It does kill off some bacteria.

Mollyfish

Reaction score
Mike1995 said:
as the above said, a gravel vacuum is the best way to clean substrate. When i do water changes on my 112g, every now and again I'll get a bacteria bloom. Within an hour or two it settles. But you want to be careful cleaning stuff in your tank, not to clean too much. It does kill off some bacteria.
Won’t be cleaning like that again and will take advice from lfs with a pinch of salt

Also do I need to do partial water change everyday as well as adding prime?
Thank you all for been helpful feeling bit guilty now lesson learnt

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If your ammonia/nitrites total are above 1ppm, do a water change to lower them.

Since your ammonia isn’t spiking, it shouldn’t take long for your full cycle to return.

Many people only vacuum the gravel on one side of their tank weekly, the other side the next week.

Most of my tanks have a double sponge filter and either a second sponge filter or a HOB filter. Every 2 weeks I will rinse one sponge, or the filter cartridge in tank water i’ve removed. So basically i’m only disturbing 1/3 of my media every 2 weeks, seems to work.

Mollyfish

Reaction score
Hunter1 said:
If your ammonia/nitrites total are above 1ppm, do a water change to lower them.

Since your ammonia isn’t spiking, it shouldn’t take long for your full cycle to return.

Many people only vacuum the gravel on one side of their tank weekly, the other side the next week.

Most of my tanks have a double sponge filter and either a second sponge filter or a HOB filter. Every 2 weeks I will rinse one sponge, or the filter cartridge in tank water i’ve removed. So basically i’m only disturbing 1/3 of my media every 2 weeks, seems to work.
Ok thank you only have one filter so think just rinse it if it gets blocked

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollyfish said:
Ok thank you only have one filter so think just rinse it if it gets blocked
And when it finally reached the point of being clogged and water will no longer flow through it freely cut the fiber off of that cartridge and put this fiber along with a new cartridge in your filter housing. That way you will be keeping the bacteria that is your cycle.

Or you can do what a lot of us have done and do away with the replaceable cartridges all together. Just replace it with a piece of filter foam that can be cut to size. It won't have to be replaced until it is literally falling apart.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
And when it finally reached the point of being clogged and water will no longer flow through it freely cut the fiber off of that cartridge and put this fiber along with a new cartridge in your filter housing. That way you will be keeping the bacteria that is your cycle.

Or you can do what a lot of us have done and do away with the replaceable cartridges all together. Just replace it with a piece of filter foam that can be cut to size. It won't have to be replaced until it is literally falling apart.
We can do this? I have an ac in my tank but also an aqueon that takes cartridges. I also have filter foam so once I run out of cartridges I would love to use that and be able to clean it better. The cartridges are hard to clean because of the plastic.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Photobelle said:
We can do this? I have an ac in my tank but also an aqueon that takes cartridges. I also have filter foam so once I run out of cartridges I would love to use that and be able to clean it better. The cartridges are hard to clean because of the plastic.
Absolutely!!! Just be sure to put the old fiber in with the new foam to seed it.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nice! Mine take a ammonia reducer hard rectangle thing too. Can I just skip that or put something else in there?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Photobelle said:
Nice! Mine take a ammonia reducer hard rectangle thing too. Can I just skip that or put something else in there?
In my humble opinion those things are just put there to make one choose one filter over another because it has a neat sounding extra something included. A cycled a tank shouldn't have ammonia anyway so I would have no problem removing it and making room for more useful media.

If you want to continue this conversation I think it should be on its own thread instead of on Mollyfishes thread though.

Mollyfish

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
In my humble opinion those things are just put there to make one choose one filter over another because it has a neat sounding extra something included. A cycled a tank shouldn't have ammonia anyway so I would have no problem removing it and making room for more useful media.

If you want to continue this conversation I think it should be on its own thread instead of on Mollyfishes thread though.
Have to agree as only interested in what to do not what I can buy
Thank you for your comment

Mollyfish

Reaction score
Photobelle said:
Sorry! I got excited have a nice day
That’s ok as thought this site was to give constructive help and how to solve a problem by throwing money into it for solution lol have a nice day yourself

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I got into this hobby for the second time(1st was 40 years ago), I did a lot of online research. The answers to most of my searches took me to a fish lore forum thread.

So I joined.

And I have learned so much!

This website has saved 1,000s of fishes IMO because most people are well intended but lack knowledge to not only keep their fish alive, but to allow them to thrive.

That’s why I respond frequently to questions I know the answer to, or have a educated opinion on. Just trying to give back since this website has been so valuable to my successes.

Mollyfish

Reaction score
Hunter1 said:
When I got into this hobby for the second time(1st was 40 years ago), I did a lot of online research. The answers to most of my searches took me to a fish lore forum thread.

So I joined.

And I have learned so much!

This website has saved 1,000s of fishes IMO because most people are well intended but lack knowledge to not only keep their fish alive, but to allow them to thrive.

That’s why I respond frequently to questions I know the answer to, or have a educated opinion on. Just trying to give back since this website has been so valuable to my successes.
I did a lot of searching before getting tank and seem to get the best answers on here that’s why I joined, keep being helpful as sure I’ll need it again lol this is for all helpful people on here,

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom