Mini Cycle

1. ystrout

ystrout Member Member

How long do mini cycles take to run their course? I have a 20 gallon long.

I moved apartments, and killed some of my bacteria colony by boiling my rocks (to combat a snail infestation) and probably left my filter sponge in stagnant tank water for too long during the move.

My tap water also has ammonia... .5 ppm. I did a bunch of water changes with the tap water before I realized this. This is how I think I got ammonia in my tank.... No nitrites or nitrates in the tap though though.

I know I still have bacteria though. Since I'm getting nitrite and nitrate readings.

So how long do you think this will take before my bacteria grows enough and breaks down all the ammonia? And nitrite Currently at .5 ppm ammonia and .5 ppm nitrite. About 40 ppm of nitrate. Can I do anything to speed the process up?

I'm currently using prime to detox the ammonia and nitrite....

Thanks.

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What's your pH? Do you have any fish in the tank? You might try turning the heat up a little to speed up how fast the bacteria reproduce but only if it isn't going to hurt what's already living in the tank. You can also buy bottled bacteria to add.

3. OP
    OP
    ystrout

ystrout Member Member

pH is 7.8-8ish. I have about 10 fish in the tank. They've lived there since before the move for 2 years, percectly cycled tank.

Water is about 75-78. My thermometer gives a range, not an exact temp.

Warm water fish though. Danios and tetras. 2 panda cories.

4. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

In that case how long it takes to re-cycle is going to depend on how many bacteria survived. Shouldn't take too long, bacteria are fast growers! Maybe a couple of weeks if you have some of every kind you need surviving.

5. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Most of the time mini-cycles clear up in 1-7 days.

6. OP
    OP
    ystrout

ystrout Member Member

Ok good. I guess it's good that I'm showing nitrite and nitrate! So it is in fact a mini cycle.... And I'm not going through the process all over again haha.