Mini Cycle ?

1. landshark Initiate Member

Lost a couple of fish recently. Tested water and all good except nitrate levels off the hook. Started doing 25% changes every other day. After about 30 minutes, the water so cloudy it looks like a house fire in there. In the a.m. clear as a bell. No lost fish since. I'm thinking mini cycle (no Hondas). ??? I use Tetra water conditioner.

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

landshark, Welcome to Fishlore!

What are your water parameters for PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in your tank? the cloudiness can be anything from micro bubbles, bacterial/algae bloom, undissolved solids, etc... Also, what do you mean by "no hondas" ? This information would be helpful. Thanks.

3. k9z3boys Member Member

the Honda is a play on words- mini cycle...motor cycle...honda....

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Do you have your water parameters? That will help a lot.

5. landshark Initiate Member

Sorry. I only have test strips and a liquid ammonia test. Ammonia 0. All other stuff on the strip in range except the nitrates were at the bottom.

6. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

What do you mean by "at the bottom" does your test kit have a numerical value assigned to your reading, something like 100PPM Nitrates ? I would suggest testing your tap water for nitrates, if you receive a low reading, water changes should solve your issue with high nitrates.

If possible, please post your tank size, type of filtration, substrate, stock list and maintenance routine. Thanks!