10 Gallon Tank Mini Cycle?! Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi there.

As I posted yesterday, I got my first batch of fish ever (6 cherry barbs) since my 10 gallon tank had been cycled for 4 days.

I decided to do a water change to get the Nitrate reading down from what it was yesterday (20ppm) because I am worried about one of the females. I posted about this in the other thread. She is still kinda floating from side to side, swimming in bursts, with her fins clamped. Anyway, I was trying to get the water really clean for her.

I tested the water after doing a 75% water change and this is what I got.

Ammonia .50ppm
Nirite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

So is this a mini cycle then?? I used prime for the water change so I know it will neutralize it for 24 hours. I assume this is where I would start daily water changes, right? Did I put too many fish in? I was trying so hard to do this correctly.

Also, I have been testing my 55 gallon (which is where these cherry barbs were intended for) and it has been cycled for 5 days now.
Readings:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 40ppm

Should I do a water change on the 55 and put them in there since it's cycled? I have a shrimp I could put back in the 10 to re-cycle it. I am just really concerned about losing fish, especially the one that is ALREADY having trouble. Or maybe move the 5 healthy ones into the 55 and then I could treat the sick one in the 10? I really don't know what to do. Please help!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just my opinion, it's probably just trying to catch up, 5 fish of any kind is a pretty big load in a 10g. If it was the same situation and you had them in the 55 instead of the 10 you might not even notice. From how I understand it, bacteria multiply exponentially when given the conditions to do so. But even with that being said, going from 0 fish (shrimp method?) to 5 fish is a probably a big jump (no way to measure it afaik). Just my speculation though.

Also, the last option you gave in your post sounds most feasible to me, based on the information given.

Last edited:
OP
P

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
just my opinion, it's probably just trying to catch up, 5 fish of any kind is a pretty big load in a 10g. If it was the same situation and you had them in the 55 instead of the 10 you might not even notice. From how I understand it, bacteria multiply exponentially when given the conditions to do so. But even with that being said, going from 0 fish (shrimp method?) to 5 fish is a probably a big jump (no way to measure it afaik). Just my speculation though.

Also, the last option you gave in your post sounds most feasible to me, based on the information given.
Yes, I cycled them both with a shrimp and gravel from an established tank. So, move the healthy ones into the 55? What should I do with the sick one? Is there anything I can add to help it? She looks worse today

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm really sorry about your fish.
I agree with jetajockey about possibly adding too many fish at once, putting you into a mini cycle.
A few daily changes with Prime to detox should take care of that situation.

It would concern me to put the new barbs into the 55g if they haven't gone through a proper amount of Q time.

When did you get the Cherry barbs?

OP
P

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got them yesterday afternoon. Nothing else is in the 55 gallon. I was waiting for it to finish cycling, however the 10 gallon was supposed to be temporary, their forever home was supposed to be the 55 gallon.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'd agree then, go ahead and put the healthy ones in the cycled 55. Do a water change first to get the nitrates down to at least 20. I prefer to keep mine at 10.

I think I would put your ill barb in a breeder net with some of the java moss so she feels a little secure and hang it in the 55. This way, it's not exposed to the ammonia in the 10g and no one else could pick on her.
From reading your other thread it doesn't sound like she made the transition well. Could just be from stress or an illness. It's hard to say.
Sad, but not unusual when bringing home new fish.

Maybe someone else has other ideas, besides whats in your other thread.

I hope she recovers for you, good luck and keep us posted.

OP
P

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My little fishy has passed away. I guess she was just too stressed out or ill to make it. The other 5 are doing well, though. Zipping around, and they ate a little too. They seem to really like the 55.

So, now I have 2 girls and 3 boys. I'm worried about that ratio for harassment. Do I dare go and get a couple more girls, or should I wait it out? I just don't want the girls to be harassed to death. But I also don't want to disturb the cycle in my 55 by adding too many fish like I did in the 10.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would wait 10-14 days before adding any additional fish. The gals should be able to fend for themselves for a while in that 55 gallon.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry. Some things are out of our control.
I agree with John and wait.
Finish up the cycle in your 10g, then you can Q any new comers before adding them to the 55.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom