Mini Cycle after cycling tank

MidWestAquarium

I have a 37 gal tank and I think I'm going through a mini cycle. I completed a fishless-cycle over the last 2 months. Used store bought ammonia and eventually my nitrites were consumed by nitrates. However, I realized at the end of the cycle I wanted a sand substrate so I replaced the gravel. I realize now that that was not the best idea. So now I'm testing my water daily and my nitrites are hovering around .50-.75pmm. I do see a very slight amount of nitrAtes in my tests as well. Since I have 3 corydoras I am doing 25% water changes every other day to combat the nitrites from getting too high. Will these water changes slow down the cycle? If so what should I be doing differently because I want to keep the corys happy.

jdhef

Welcome to FishLore!

First and foremost you'll want to keep the cories safe, so keep up with the water changes, even if it does slow things down. But generally mini-cycles are pretty short lived since the bacteria reproduces pretty quickly.

If you are not using SeaChm Prime as your water conditioner, you may want to consider doing so. Prime supposedly will detox up to 1ppm of nitrites for 24 hours (detox meaning to put the nitrites in a form that is non-toxic to the fish, but still in a form that the bacteria can consume).

MidWestAquarium

Yeah I use Prime every water change (2 drops per gallon). This has been going on for about a week now so I hope the nitrAtes come back soon! Also, the corys don't seem to be eating the shrimp pellets I'm putting in there. Maybe they were used to eating other things from the LFS?

mattgirl

As jdhef pointed out you need to keep the nitrites as low as possible with water changes. As long as you add Prime to the fresh water before pouring it in there even big water changes are not going to hurt the cycle.

I did want to point out. Nitrates do not remove nitrites. Only nitrite eating bacteria can remove nitrites. Nitrates are bacteria poop just as nitrites are ammonia eating bacteria poop. By changing out the substrate in a newly cycled tank you removed some of the bacteria. Give it time and the bacteria you removed will be replaced. In the meantime though keep up with the water changes to keep your corys safe.

MidWestAquarium

Will do. Thanks for the replies!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Katie Dawn
Replies
Views
HKsai
Replies
Views