Mini catappa leaves

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I buy my regular catappa leaves through amazon and they are just normal and obviously catappa but I ordered the mini ones they offer and they are smaller than I thought. Anyone have experience with them? I'm just curious if they are catappa. If not, do they still benefit the fish? Should I just keep ripping up regular catappa for my 20 gal long?

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What brand? I just ordered the sun grow mini leaves. I cannot say if they are real or not but they are tinting up my betta tank well. So presume they release tannis

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lots of botanicals will have health benefits to your tank. That said, stop wasting your money, go outside and collect some oak leaves (Beech leaves, Birch leaves & cones, Alder leaves & Cones, Mulberry, Sycamore and Walnut are also great). I also use Alder branches in my tanks. Even in the middle of the winter Ill go digging in the snow to get dead leaves that fell the previous autumn.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rcslade124 said:
What brand? I just ordered the sun grow mini leaves. I cannot say if they are real or not but they are tinting up my betta tank well. So presume they release tannis
Sun grow :)

DuaneV said:
Lots of botanicals will have health benefits to your tank. That said, stop wasting your money, go outside and collect some oak leaves (Beech leaves, Birch leaves & cones, Alder leaves & Cones, Mulberry, Sycamore and Walnut are also great). I also use Alder branches in my tanks. Even in the middle of the winter Ill go digging in the snow to get dead leaves that fell the previous autumn.
I want to but I was afraid and using the wrong thing. Also, I really want to use branches how do I know what to use? I can google tree leaves to recognize those but branches?

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I also have the Sun Grow Minis. They're perfect for small tanks. I like how they look as leaf litter (as opposed to just ripping up the large leaves.) I like that you can see the full leaf shape when they're in a pile on the bottom. Maybe that's weird, but it just looks 'tidier' to me (as tidy as leaf litter can be? lol)

They release tannins quite well, if that is what you are going for. :)

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Algonquin said:
I also have the Sun Grow Minis. They're perfect for small tanks. I like how they look as leaf litter (as opposed to just ripping up the large leaves.) I like that you can see the full leaf shape when they're in a pile on the bottom. Maybe that's weird, but it just looks 'tidier' to me (as tidy as leaf litter can be? lol)

They release tannins quite well, if that is what you are going for. :)
Yea i like the small leave look sooo much better in my 20 gal long. But to help boost the tannins I have been still ripping up one or two full size catappa bc I didn't see the same water tinting as I like. But the mix is nice too. I will definitely give collecting leaves a try but I think this year is not good bc we had an early ice/snow and a lot of leaves dropped very light or even greenish.
And the ones that dropped dark have been snow soaked this loosing tannins.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom