Mini canisters?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love my HW-304b so was considering a mini canister for when I set up one of my 10 gallons again. Most of the mini canisters I find seem to have very mixed reviews though. Anyone using a canister on their 10 gallon?

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just use a sponge filter or a small Aquaclear HOB. I dont know of a canister small enough for a 10 gallon tank! I love canisters..but its kind of overkill on a 10 gallon

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh I found a few available for smaller tanks. They are usually referred to as a mini whatever, the biggest complaints I see are people using them on 20+ and it not being powerful enough for it. I would definitely prefer to go beyond what is necessary. I don't want a sponge filter. Iv always had HOB / aquaclears (still have a couple old ones I might use) but they can be a pain, my cats like to mess with them and it is noisier.

Jswin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You could make one

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll say one thing. I have a Fluval G3 canister on a 29 gallon tank. That thing is a major pain to get started after a water change. I have to un-plug and plug about 5 times to FINALLY get the impeller to catch. I clean...I clean and I clean that impeller and STILL it is a pain. I have a Aquaclear 70 on it right now seeding so that I can remove the G3. The HOB's to me..are a lot easier and faster to clean! You have to clean them more often..but it is a very simple operation. Now..on a bigger tank...I wouldnt have anything BUT a canister or a wet/dry..but on a 10 thru 29...I'd probably opt for a HOB from here on in.

I3uckethead

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I took one of these and stuck 2 ceramic rings from my big can in it. Works great for my 10 gallon. But I only have inverts in there atm. I dunno how it would do in a high bio load.

Edited: wrong url

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom