Minerals needed

BENT17

I need to add minerals from my RO. The GH and KH are both at 1 and PH is at 6.4 I got the attached but I was told that its not good for what I need. What do you suggest I use please?

MacZ

You should mention you want to remineralise for a planted tank.

BENT17

Sorry yes a planted co2 tank with shrimps and tetras

BENT17

Anyone can suggest what best minerals I need to add please? And if what I posted is good for me or not.

Pfrozen

that product is fine if you use it in conjunction with seachem equilibrium. Alkaline buffer for KH, equilibrium for GH. the equilibrium is not expensive

carsonsgjs

BENT17 said:
Anyone can suggest what best minerals I need to add please? And if what I posted is good for me or not.
Alkaline buffer is good for kh only, for gh you could use seachem equilibrium.

BENT17

Thanks guys. So my setup is that my Ro fills up a reservoir tanks in the terrace. The idea is to place the alkaline s few hours before.. would the equilibrium need to be placed in the reservoir tank also? Where should I aim for GH and KH ?

Pfrozen

BENT17 said:
Thanks guys. So my setup is that my Ro fills up a reservoir tanks in the terrace. The idea is to place the alkaline s few hours before.. would the equilibrium need to be placed in the reservoir tank also? Where should I aim for GH and KH ?
I don't really understand the question... you should mix both the alkaline buffer and equilibrium into your RO before you do a water change and add it to your tank. I wouldn't mix it directly in the tank, just use a bucket

a KH of 4 or higher will keep your pH stable, for your cherry shrimp and tetras a gH of 8-12 will be more than enough. test the pH of your mix after the powders are dissolved, if its too high you can adjust

BENT17

Ok sorry maybe didnt make myself understandable.. I have an external reservoir where I store my water used for WC which gets filled up throught the week. Yes will mix in a container and then pour in the reservoir few hours before and add a circulating pump to mix it up

Pfrozen

BENT17 said:
Ok sorry maybe didnt make myself understandable.. I have an external reservoir where I store my water used for WC which gets filled up throught the week. Yes will mix in a container and then pour in the reservoir few hours before and add a circulating pump to mix it up
you want to take it out of the reservoir, put it in a bucket, mix it, pour it back into the reservoir, and then into your tank? Maybe I don't understand but can you explain why there are so many extra steps?

BENT17

Pfrozen said:
you want to take it out of the reservoir, put it in a bucket, mix it, pour it back into the reservoir, and then into your tank? Maybe I don't understand but can you explain why there are so many extra steps?
No no the tank stores 100L of RO water. What I said is I get a small jug and fill it up with the tank water and mix throughly the Alkaline and quailibrium and pur it back in the tank thats all not all the 100L just 1/2L

Ok so plan is add alkine and equilibrium to the reservoir tank and aim for KH4 and GH ~9

Pfrozen

BENT17 said:
No no the tank stores 100L of RO water. What I said is I get a small jug and fill it up with the tank water and mix throughly the Alkaline and quailibrium and pur it back in the tank thats all not all the 100L just 1/2L

Ok so plan is add alkine and equilibrium to the reservoir tank and aim for KH4 and GH ~9
You'll have residue in your RO tank and it will compromise the quality of your RO water. Also if the system is continuous your salt mix will become diluted soon after adding it to your tank. you'll run into problems if you do it that way.

mix in bucket, pour bucket into tank. done. I personally would choose not to contaminate my RO system

BENT17

Appologies for this.. didnt understand the bucket part. My tank fills up slowly throughout the week. When full it stops with a flow switch. What do you do with the bucket? And residue? Again apologies but its 1am here also since I have both reservoirs full up with PH 7.6.. is there a way to drop the PH as I dont want to throw alway around 800L of water in total...

Pfrozen

the bucket is for water. put your RO water into the bucket. If you mix your water directly in your holding tanks you'll contaminate your RO water

you said your RO ph was 6.4 earlier, why is it 7.6 suddenly lol

BENT17

Hooold on.. so I have two tanks which hold 100L each. Now these got filled with an RO with a mineralizer which I found out today gives a pH reading of 7.6. As of now I removed the mineralizer and tested the pH without mineralizer which is 6.4. With regards the bucket you want me to pour the pure RO water in it? All 100L? I was going to just get the salt and equilibrium and pour it in my 100L Ro reservoir and put on the circulating pump..

What I asked for earlier is if there is a way to drop the pH in the two tanks which are filled with the RO water of 7.6 as I wouldnt like to throw away all that water..

MacZ

BENT17 said:
What I asked for earlier is if there is a way to drop the pH in the two tanks which are filled with the RO water of 7.6 as I wouldnt like to throw away all that water..
Decide yourself, use it, it's not bad. And again, it's not RO anymore when you added minerals to it.

BENT17

Yeah I just dont want to.throw away all that water. Thanks for all your help!
Last question. Do I throw alkaline and equilibrium in together or is there some process I need to do or monitor KH before I add equilibrium?

Thanks

Pfrozen

lol just put as much water into your bucket as you need.

Let's say you need 1 gallon of water.

Pour 1 gallon of water into your bucket and remineralize it, then pour that water into your tank.

Again, if you mix your RO water directly in the reservoirs you will contaminate your RO water system

BENT17

Has anyone here used the crushed coral in filter option? Was reading that it increases your KH and GH together. Is there a specific amount you need for a 200L tank? Also Since my GH is 1 and my KH is also one (Coming from RO) with the coral in filter setup should I calculate the amount of coral needed on my RO parameters or the KH & GH parameters in my aquarium?

carsonsgjs

BENT17 said:
Has anyone here used the crushed coral in filter option? Was reading that it increases your KH and GH together. Is there a specific amount you need for a 200L tank? Also Since my GH is 1 and my KH is also one (Coming from RO) with the coral in filter setup should I calculate the amount of coral needed on my RO parameters or the KH & GH parameters in my aquarium?
Crushed coral will raise your gh and kh as it is calcium carbonate. However, it will take time to raise it and isnt an instant fix - it happens gradually over time. Putting it in the filter then adding RO water to the tank wont have an instant effect. Personally, id stick to remineralising your RO water yourself with the products you are looking at. That way, you can ensure that your water gets to the level you need it to be at before it goes in the tank.

BENT17

Found out that there is a product called that raises your KH and GH at the same time.. Has anyone here used it or something similar?

BENT17

Hi all!

So today I did a water test on my Tank and RO water..

Tank: GH 5 KH 4

RO: GH 0-1 KH 0-1

RO+mineralizer GH 2 KH 2

The tank parameters are with the RO with the mineralizer water so as of next friday I will be using the RO water and not the mineralized RO anymore..

Now with my tank parameters showing GH 5 and KH4.. Is that a good parameter? Should it be added with minerals or not? I bought this product but not sure if I need it since GH is 5 and KH is 4? ( )
Keep in mind I have substrate as it works as a buffer..

BENT17

In the morning PH is 7-7.2 without C02
What do you think?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom