Mineral rock in neocaridina tanks?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by DanB80TTS, Jul 28, 2015.

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

So a lot of CRS keepers use mineral rocks in their tanks, I belive it helps out when using RO water to remineralise and helps the colour in the shrimp.

would it be ok to use these mineral rocks in a tank with neocaridina varients? I use tap water that has low gh/kh, 3drops in each using API hardness kit, I'm not super sure on hardness and its effects.
    My ph is around 7 in my tanks, would mineral rocks have any negative effects? If it was to change the ph value would it raise or lower it.

I can link to the rock if needed, it is rocks though, not the little conditioner ball things.

2. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

It's going to raise the ph if anything. I keep mine at a ph up around 7.4 these days but I've successfully kept them from 6.4-7.8. As far as coloration goes diet and genetics are going to play much more of a role than mineral content of the water.

3. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the reply Eric, I was hoping you or Dolfan might reply, would it have any effect on water hardness?
    I don't know a whole lot about water hardness but I thought harder water had more mineral content, I'd like to have healthy shrimp but didn't know if minerals associated with CRS would be suitable for neos, I've had 3 of my blue velvets die now, 3 of them did arrive in odd shape though so I'm putting it down to that, I'm not sure what else would have caused their death, my tank is cycled and water tests fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice