Mineral levels, water changes (small Betta tanks)

ProfMomC

Hello everyone,

I’m new here and to the hobby. My two kids each have a 2.5 filtered, semi-planted tank that we successfully cycled and now houses a beautiful betta (going on 3-4 days). I know the cycle is fragile in small tanks (this was all we had money and space for), so we are testing daily and all parameters look good except for the general hardness (GH) in one of the tanks is low today (0ppm vs. 25ppm before). The other tank is still at 25ppm but tends to be about a day behind and slight different. We have been topping off with conditioned tap water (which is pretty hard, since we get it from outside of our water softener system). I was planning on doing a 50% water change after a week, but I’m worried that the minerals may not be high enough.

Is that something to be concerned about? If so, what remedy do you recommend for such small tanks? Would doing more frequent water changes help?

I was thinking of adding a fertilizer to their regimen, too, once the cycles seem stable for a while, though the plants seem to be thriving after a month. Would that help with the GH?

I’m attaching pictures with our beautiful boys and their homes. The blue Betta is Orion, the one with the low GH. The green mustard Betta is Thoth.

Attachments

• 3B04C9A3-0229-4566-A2B2-EDBB5AD9AF36.jpeg
    3B04C9A3-0229-4566-A2B2-EDBB5AD9AF36.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 7
  • B56452B1-BDB1-433C-B3F7-844830EC8D33.jpeg
    B56452B1-BDB1-433C-B3F7-844830EC8D33.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 7

Flyfisha

Hi again ProfMomC

I am sorry you have waited 15 hours for a reply.
I read your question when it was a new post.

Clearly it’s not an emergency?
I will start the ball rolling offering my opinion and if someone has another view point they are welcome to contribute and often do once someone posts a first reply. In some way this helps me to learn and or reconsider my own beliefs.

I think you should not worry to much about the GH in a newly cycled tank that is still stabilising?

You have a soft water species anyway.

The difference could be down to an ornament or rock in one tank or wood in the other?

Many people who keep fish all their lives have never even heard of GH . They have no idea what there tap water is ( . If it’s hard or soft). Many people think PH is hardness?

I suggest you watch and wait . Continue with water changes as needed for excessive nitrates .

KingOscar

Personally I would not be concerned. I've gone many, many years without checking for hardness without issue. I've also had a Betta in a 2.5 gallon with a filter and heater with great success. 50% water change every week sounds perfect to me.

ProfMomC

Hi again ProfMomC

I am sorry you have waited 15 hours for a reply.
I read your question when it was a new post.

Clearly it’s not an emergency?
I will start the ball rolling offering my opinion and if someone has another view point they are welcome to contribute and often do once someone posts a first reply. In some way this helps me to learn and or reconsider my own beliefs.

I think you should not worry to much about the GH in a newly cycled tank that is still stabilising?

You have a soft water species anyway.

The difference could be down to an ornament or rock in one tank or wood in the other?

Many people who keep fish all their lives have never even heard of GH . They have no idea what there tap water is ( . If it’s hard or soft). Many people think PH is hardness?

I suggest you watch and wait . Continue with water changes as needed for excessive nitrates .
Hi Flyfisha! Thanks so much for the reassurances. And no need to apologize; it sure doesn’t seem like an emergency. If we ever have one, I’ll make it clear in the thread title—or I think I saw that there’s a way to contact an admin? In any event, I’m just trying to be extra careful and am extremely grateful for this friendly and knowledgeable community!
Personally I would not be concerned. I've gone many, many years without checking for hardness without issue. I've also had a Betta in a 2.5 gallon with a filter and heater with great success. 50% water change every week sounds perfect to me.
Hello KingOscar! OK, that is great to hear. Thank you so much! :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hipsterkipster
Replies
Views
kippielynn
Replies
Views
Donthemon
  • Question
Replies