Mineral deposits on glass tank lid

hoopyfrood
Surprisingly, the worst area is on the outside surface of the lid. Apparently my HOB filter gives off a very fine spray of water (I have read the whole manual trying to learn if I can turn down the flow. It doesn't appear to be possible)

At first, a daily wipe with a towel removed it but after two months that isn't cutting it. I haven't tried a scrubber, but I ran my fingernail across it and could barely make a scratch.

I have had hard water long enough to know it's pretty much impossible to remove long term buildup. Do I need to resign myself to having a cloudy tank lid ?

Coradee
Hi I’m not sure what your tank lid situation is, whether it’s removable or not but I use paper towel soaked with white vinegar & leave it on for a few hours, overnight if possible works wonders on lime scale deposits.

hoopyfrood
Do you do that with the lid on or off the tank? I'm afraid if I removed the lid for hours my cats would go fishing!

Coradee
I take the lid off but I have no cats to worry about.
If you can do it without danger of any vinegar seeping into the tank you could try leaving the lid on, just don’t soak the paper towel so it’s dripping wet.

Sofiafish17
I don’t know how big your tank is, but you could maybe cover it temporarily with something like a storage tub lid with a light book on top. I have done that before in a tight situation.

Betta'sAnonymous
I usually use a utility razor blade and handle to get a lot of the build-up, then vinegar and a non scratching scrubber on the stubborn stuff. But thats if you trust your skill with a blade to not scratch the heck out of the surface.

Cinabar
Hack at it with a flat razor blade. If it’s glass you don’t have to worry too much about scratching. A few rounds of scraping should get it back to looking brand new.

Top Bottom