Mimo's bristlenose log

mimo91088

Starting this thread mostly for my own records. But if anyone has advice along the way I'd love to hear it.

The first 48:
Discovered my male sitting on eggs this morning after he didn't come out of the cave for morning feeding. Can't remember if he did yesterday, so the eggs are somewhere between 24-48 hours old.

20210219_194706.jpg

babyfish

YaY I am so happy for happy for you!!! I am a crazy fish breeder person, so like this is so exiting. i hope they survive.

mimo91088

Plan is to pull the cave into a 10 gallon growout tank once they're wigglers and remove dad. Here's a pic of the planned tank. Anything I should improve?
coralbandit SanDiegoRedneck jake37

20210220_165602.jpg

coralbandit

Move the tube with eggs and dad to where you want it . I just tip breeding tube up and move them both together . You'll never safely be able to catch and move fry once they leave the tube ..
Once they hatch and dad is out of tube he can go back .
When all fry are out the tube can go back ..
May take well over a week for fry and dad to come out ..

mimo91088

Thanks! Do you think I need more cover or caves in the growout for the fry? I have more caves and coco huts out the..

coralbandit

I usually move tube with eggs and male to bare bottom tank with a piece or two of wood and some plants .
They don't need or use the cave much once free swimming .

mimo91088

Sweet thanks!

mimo91088

No wigglers yet but he's still fanning the eggs

mimo91088

I've got wigglers!

20210225_173522.jpg

mimo91088

He's doing pretty good for a first time dad. At some point during that first 10 hours he let a few out. Basically eggs with tails still. But he currently has the rest corralled in the back of the cave.

coralbandit

They will come out or he will shoo them out soon enough .
When he separates from them he can be placed back with female along with cave .

mimo91088

None have left the cave yet, but from what I can see the yolk sacs look mostly absorbed. Should be pretty soon!

mimo91088

Some babies have finally started to leave the cave. I've spotted 3 so far.
20210306_124115.jpg

20210306_124209.jpg

Betta'sAnonymous

mimo91088 said:
Some babies have finally started to leave the cave. I've spotted 3 so far.
20210306_124115.jpg

20210306_124209.jpg
Cute li'l guys!

mimo91088

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Cute li'l guys!
I've been letting algae grow on the glass for them, I can't wait until I can get better pictures lol

mimo91088

Now that the babies are out and about, I'm starting to notice it appears that some fry have dark colored eyes, and others light eyes. Curious how that plays out as they grow since both parents are lemon blue eyes.

mimo91088

Finally caught a pic of 2 of them side by side. You can see the blue eyes already on some of them. Others have lighter eyes. It's not as obvious, but the body color is different too. I have obvious assumptions that the lemon blue eye morph is derived at least in part from the albinism gene. This would seem to confirm that suspicion so far. But who knows, maybe they color up at different rates. I'm curious to hear from more experienced people than my noob self that have worked with this morph.

20210310_173200.jpg

babyfish

Congrats!! I am so happy for you! They are absolutely adorable!! Were you trying to breed them? or was this an accident? If you were, I would love to know how you do it.

mimo91088

babyfish said:
Congrats!! I am so happy for you! They are absolutely adorable!! Were you trying to breed them? or was this an accident? If you were, I would love to know how you do it.
I was intending for them to breed. I just thought they needed to be bigger before they did, hence my surprise. Honestly, I just put them in water and that's about it. This species from everything I've read will spawn very readily under a variety of conditions.

FishWithTim

Absolutely sick! Pleco's are the COOLEST fish around by far! I was at my LFS because they had some blue eyed lemon plecos and I was interested but they sold. I'll take one of your hands tho .

The29G

mimo91088 said:
Now that the babies are out and about, I'm starting to notice it appears that some fry have dark colored eyes, and others light eyes. Curious how that plays out as they grow since both parents are lemon blue eyes.
Yeah, I wouldn’t be able to explain that with the genetics I learned in high school biology.

mimo91088

Aaaand he's already on eggs again. Looks like a bigger clutch this time. People aren't kidding when they say these things are prolific!

Latest threads

Top Bottom