Mimic Tang ok? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by smileyfish, Apr 3, 2010.

1. s

smileyfish Valued Member Member

After countless questions, over an hour, and $40 later i now have a yellow mimic tang. It looks very much like an angelfish, hence the mimic part, but it doesnt eat coral, it eats algae (double bonus).

My question is: can this mimic tang stay in the 29 gallon nanocube?

If not could it be added to my 40 gallon (look at my profile for information on the inhabitants)

2. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

It would be better in the 40 gallon since it grows a max of 10", but usually only 7". I would reccomend a larger tank tha a 40 since a 40 gallon is only
    36" long. I would say anything 48" or longer would be suitable for it because tangs prefers longer tanks since they are active swimmers.

ATP,
    :;f:;fr:;fb

3. OP
    OP
    s

well my 40 gallon actually is a long so it's 48 inches, but i already have a tang that's been in there for a while now

4. ATP

Its better than a square bio cube for sure. So if your tank is 48" its a 40 breeder. You would still need an upgrade in the future, but as of now, the 40 is the best choice.

5. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

I would put him in other tank not with kole also depends on size. hopefully very small?

6. OP
    OP
    s

i rearranged the 40 gallon into two area's of cave like sections on opposite sides to A) confuse the tang and distract it i guess and B) to hopefully have each tang have it's own territory.

Afterwards i moved the mimic into the 40 (with the kole). At first they actually seemed to like each other, they were just sort of swimming slowly around each other, then the kole starting hitting the mimic with his tail and chased it around the tank until finally the mimic hid in a little corner on the opposite side of the kole cave. The kole seemed to forget about it and just stayed in it's cave and the mimic did the same. I went away for a little while and came back to find the mimic exploring the kole's turf. Of course the kole chased it out and the mimic went back for about 5 seconds only to return.

Do you think the mimic will eventually learn because the kole could care less about the mimic when he's in his own cave?

Any techniques for catching fish besides putting the net in and chasing the fish around (because i find that extremely frustrating, but i feel as though if i could get all three of the clowns or the pygmy angel out that would ease the tension a little between the tangs)?

7. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Best way to catch him is if you still have bag that he came in set bag in one corner and open mouth and put aliitle gravel on side laying down and either chase him into bag or sometimes they just do this by themselves but you need to get him out soon or kole may slice mimmic with his razor.

8. ATP

Fish trap....
    It's a container and a door thing. You put fish food inside the container and there;s a string that holds the door open. When the fish you want to catch goes in there, release the string and the door closes.

Google it. There should be a DIY one somewhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice