Millennium Rainbow May Be Salman Red Rainbows

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by BrettMad, Aug 6, 2017.

1. BrettMad

BrettMadNew MemberMember

Hello,

My first question is about this rainbow fish. He/she came in a group of four that I bought, and the other three are all starting to get the red coloring. This one is still basically silver, and is the same size. I would say they are about 2 inches long, maybe a touch longer.

I do not know if this is normal. My first thought given the general rule about coloring was that the three that if started to show color will be males and this one with no colors is a female. After trying to identify sex of the various fish yesterday I realized I have no real clue which is which and that color assumption I made may have been wrong. It is also possible that the wholesaler did not have the fish labeled correctly or had some other variety mixed in with the millenniums.

Any ideas?

For comparison, I have a picture of one of the other three below.

2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I will predict the following:
    You have one strongly coloured individual.
    2 less red than # 1.
    1 silver.
    If that is true, you have an alpha male, 2 dominated males and a female.

So, is it true....

3. OP
    OP
    BrettMad

BrettMadNew MemberMember

I was reading the females would be cinnamon colored, perhaps this just happens later when they are older. I seem to remember none of them had any trace of red when I got them 3 weeks ago. What you mentioned was my initial guess, the silver was the female. When I started reading more about them and saw mention of the female coloring of cinnamon I got confused. One of the other ways they say is males have the overlapping dorsal fin at top, which none of the four yet as far as I can tell have, again perhaps because they are juveniles. They do not stand still, they move quite a bit, so I just could be missing it!

None of the 3 males yet are noticeably more colored than the others to my eyes. I am guessing that will be apparent before too much longer though.

Thanks for the help.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I think you do not have Millenniums, which are Glossolepis pseudoincisus. Your fish appear to be young Glossolepis incisus, the Salmon Red Rainbow. If they get much larger, then you know I am right, as Millenniums should not exceed about 2.5 inches (6cm), while male Salmon Reds can get over 6 inches (15cm). The two species have nearly identical color, but female incisus are much less colorful than pseudoincisus females. There is also an aquarium bred golden strain of incisus, which is sometimes called blushing, and an albino strain of pseudoincisus, which I have seen live in a store. Given the commercial popularity of albino strains, it should spread quickly.

Salmon Red are one of the largest Rainbows that I know of. Males will start to color up around 4-5cm, just about 2 inches. If your fish are only now starting to color, this again points to Salmon Reds. Usually by 2 inches one would expect Millennium males to be getting deeper bodies already.

5. OP
    OP
    BrettMad

BrettMadNew MemberMember

Thank you chromedome52, that actually makes a lot more sense. Of course, that begs the question of why the wholesaler was so wrong or if I go through him if I have to ask him for millennial's to get the last 2 that I would like to get. Would like to get one or two more females so that the three boys are not harassing the one that I have.

6. OP
    OP
    BrettMad

BrettMadNew MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice