Milky White Ghost Shrimp

aquaticat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
One of my female ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon has been a solid, milky white for several weeks now. At first, I thought perhaps she was ill and would die soon... it's been 3 weeks though. And she's eating plenty every day, very active (probably my most active one!) and seems perfectly normal.

...so, what could be causing it? Perhaps she is about to molt? Just come off of molting? Sick somehow? (Though it doesn't appear her actual "skin" is white, her insides are solid white!) Anyone seen this before?

Only kept ghosties once before now, but I've never seen this before. ???

Last edited:

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could be possible molting issue. I have ghost shrimp and they turn a variety of colors. I have some that are greenish and 1 in particular that is very brown almost chocolate colored. Hard to tell without a picture.

Crazycatfishlady

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have one that kept turning white, she stayed white for quite awhile then one day just turned yellowish/clear. I also had another turn white when another shrimp was picking on him, if she's acting normal I wouldn't worry too much. Have you been testing your water?

aquaticat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Could be possible molting issue. I have ghost shrimp and they turn a variety of colors. I have some that are greenish and 1 in particular that is very brown almost chocolate colored. Hard to tell without a picture.
I'll have to try and see if I can get a picture of her when I feed them today, but that's what I was wondering. Quite funny though... at least I know where she is when I try to do water changes and avoid sucking up anyone.

AbsolutTalent

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
From what ive been figuring out with shrimp, when they turn a milky/opaque white, tends to mean there is an internal bacterial infection or muscle necrosis. Some shrimp can live with the white insides for quite awhile, but eventually they will die from it.

Start doing some water changes.
There are some meds you can use.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165732
there is a starting point. Thats as far as ive gone. Never had to dose or use any of those yet. But I would quarentine the sick shrimp while dosing

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom