Milky water not cloudy though

Evad

Reaction score
Hello I'm a beginner, and I have a 30 U.S. Gal tank and the water seems very hard. Could this be a reason for "milky water"? I've used water clear from jungle with little result. Also I have a 30 gal. & 20 gal. filter on htis tank for optimum filtration. Thanks for any help!

Evad

Reaction score
Distilled water?

I started with distilled water, was that a mistake? I have an amonia meter, Ph meter and nitrite-nitrate meter; every thing is fine (Ph 6.6); but, my water is still milky. any suggestions? tank is 2months old with 2 filters and 3 arreators going.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not know which area of the country you are from, but could the problem be your tap water?  How is it coming out of the tap?  In our area we are currently going through a period of water coming from the tap looking like milk.  If it is a tap water problem the water clarifiers may not work on them as the problem is chemicals, not particulate matter. 

There is also the chance that you may have a bacterial bloom which would not be cleared by the water clarifiers.  Could you tell us the test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates in your water and how much water are you changing in your aquarium and how often? 

How long has the tank been set up and what do you have in it?  If you haven't done so already, you should read the following article on the Nitrogen Cycle and starting up a tank.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

I hope I have been helpful.  Welcome to fishlore.com.  We have a great group here and I would like to make sure you feel welcome.  You will come to know us much better if you take a little time to browse through the topics and especially the Fish and Tank Photos to see our little ones and their homes.  There are many ages and levels of expertise represented here as well as countries.  I have met some of the best friends I have right here at this forum, may you do the same.

Rose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Re: Distilled water?

Distilled water is unstable for some reason. If you want to use bottled water, it should be "spring water" - not distilled or "drinking water". The cost is generally the same, but most people have the best results just using the tap water that is treated with a dechlorinating agent like Amquel+ to remove any chlorine or chloramine that their city may have added. It is not only cheaper but if you ever decide to have real plants in your tank you will need the trace minerals found in the tap water that is not found in any of the bottled waters. Also I have found that if you depend entirely on bottled water, it is always going to be inconvenient to keep enough on hand and emergencies will arise when there will not be enough on hand.

If you want to use a partial bottled water tank that is okay too but as I said unless the water quality coming out of the tap is totally horrible, it is unnecessary.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom