Milk Prices Sky High!

1. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

:;hi2

I was just reading some recipes in the Random Food Thread (link below) and Gremlins Cinnamon Roles sound and look mouth watering:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/general-discussion/25422-random-food-thread.html

which made me think of how nice they would be with a big glass of milk. Yum!

I bought a gallon of Milk yesterday, whole milk as Chef doesn't allow 2%, 1% or skimmed in the house. :giggle:Shopping a Mom and Pop little store, the cheapest that had was $5.19 per gallon! Next lowest price was $6.00. This just amazes me.

I worked for Kroger's back in the 1970's when milk was .99 cents a gallon and .79 cents a gallon on sale.

Normally we get milk at a chain store for around $3.70 a gallon. Which I'm sure is going up in price again very soon.

hmmm...maybe Chef and I should just buy a cow!

Thanks for listening! Rant is over. :;fru

Ken

Attached Files:

2. xNick Member Member

Crazy, isn't it? I know in Australia we have fresh milk for $2 for 2L which is about $4 per gallon So I guess we have it lucky :p

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

The county I live in has a very large dairy, whose product is sold locally.
    But I still pay about the same Ken.

There is indeed something wrong with this picture.

4. lorabell Well Known Member Member

LOL...but it really isnt funny.......and with Mike always having been a milk lover and drinker.....its one of the few things he can still enjoy....he goes through almost 3 gallons a week!!!!!! Ill share the cow with u!!!!!

5. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Same here. If I want to get milk that's traveled around the country, and I don't know its origin, I can get it for $3.50-4. If I want to buy locally-produced milk, it's $5-6.

Though I've never seen the low prices Aquarist is talking about, I've watched milk prices double since I've moved out from my parents' place.

Also, no reduced-fat milk here, either. When I was a kid, I convinced my parents to switch to skim milk because it's good for you ("low fat=good", right?). I continued to drink skim milk until a few years ago, when my wife found out that, to make reduced-fat milk more palatable, they add extra whey protein, which exacerbates her medical issues. Add to that the fact that we now know that low fat isn't necessarily good, and high fat isn't necessarily bad, and we switched to whole milk.

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I went grocery shopping ysterday, had to by 4 different milks and some heavy cream... ouch. We pay $ 3.89 for a gallon of 2%. Then I needed a pint of heavy cream (almost $4.00) a quart of buttermilk (not bad $1.68) a quart of whole milk( $2.50) and a half gallon of skim( $2.00) . This I crazy, not to mention almost $8.00 for 2lbs of unsalted butter...

7. Borisbbadd Guest

Not just milk, everything is going up but our wages !!!

8. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I love milk, but cant drink so I buy Lactaid milk, costs around $4.50.
    It tastes better and lasts longer. We have farms here that sell goat milk fresh. I never tried, but friends like it.

9. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

My father is a dairy farmer, and I can tell you for a fact Milk Prices (for the farmer, meaning what the companies are paying for it) are LOW. The milk check this month was 20% lower than last month's. It is the government and processing plants that are making the dough, not the farmers.

10. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

That's the truth! We're basically paying the gas to have it shipped to the store.